Author Topic: Leaf spring color  (Read 3787 times)

Offline ruppstang

Leaf spring color
« on: March 01, 2011, 09:18:05 PM »
I bought a set of new rear leaf springs from NPD made by Eden Spring. They came painted black so I striped them with aircraft stripper. The pant came off easily but the metal appears blotchy almost like it was coated with something else. I tried touching up with gun bluing but it did not do much. Ideas? Marty

Offline e093116

Re: Leaf spring color
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:22:33 PM »
I took a set of new Eaton rear leafs from NPD (and a new sway bar) to be chemically stripped.

I wasn't impressed with the bare metal of the springs or the sway bar. The stripper said there was "mill scale" on the parts and he could get rid of it by putting in the chemical dip for another day or so.  I decided to take the parts home as-is.

I ended up getting the scale off with a 3M cleaning disc on a 4.5" grinder.  I used a brown disc which is less aggressive than the black. 

Depending on what your finishing requirements are, you may need a second step with a less aggressive disc to even out the metal surface/finish.

3M unitized wheel(s) on a bench grinder/buffer would also be another option.
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:48:05 PM »
I took a set of new Eaton rear leafs from NPD (and a new sway bar) to be chemically stripped.

I wasn't impressed with the bare metal of the springs or the sway bar. The stripper said there was "mill scale" on the parts and he could get rid of it by putting in the chemical dip for another day or so.  I decided to take the parts home as-is.

I ended up getting the scale off with a 3M cleaning disc on a 4.5" grinder.  I used a brown disc which is less aggressive than the black. 

Depending on what your finishing requirements are, you may need a second step with a less aggressive disc to even out the metal surface/finish.

3M unitized wheel(s) on a bench grinder/buffer would also be another option.
I have found a certain amount of mill scale on assemblyline parts. I don't know what you are looking at to determine if it is a excessive abnormal amount or not. A smooth as a baby's behind front sway bar for example is not representative of a assembly line part IMHO. Just a few thoughts for further discussion. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline e093116

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:49:52 PM »
Bob, good point.

Sway bar was an aftermarket replacement and was 100% covered in heavy scale, just like the Eaton spring leaves.  Neither of these parts looked like the originals (little to no scale) that were being replaced.
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:57:19 PM »
Here is a picture of them. If this is normal fine. If not what would you suggest? Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 12:52:34 AM »
Here is a picture of them. If this is normal fine. If not what would you suggest? Marty
From what I can see in the photo I like the top one better then the bottom one.It is hard to tell how much texture on the surface. It doesnt look heavy.  On the bottom one I see light colored metal where it looks like it has been gone over with steel wool or wire brush. The springs were a darker colored heat treated spring steel consistently all over. Just my preference. All of the Eaton springs that I stripped were fine looking as is IMHO. Just use a metal preservative. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:33:53 AM »
Picture of an original I redid last year or so for the special paint 69 CJ I threw together

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:25:57 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 09:10:32 AM »
They are smooth enough and I agree they look like they were wire brushed. That is why I tried the bluing to touch them up but it looks like there is a clear coating on them and the bluing has no effect. I would have thought the aircraft stripper would have removed most any coating. Marty