Author Topic: 69 9" NJ Built Red Axle & Rear end Question  (Read 488 times)

Offline FBVet

69 9" NJ Built Red Axle & Rear end Question
« on: September 10, 2022, 03:34:28 PM »
Hello all,

I am new to restoring a cars, this is my first post.  I recently retired from the military and bought a project car to work on. Anyway, the car is a 1969 428-R Code built in Metuchen.  Anyway, while working on parts on the rear, I found some interesting red color on the 9" rearend/axle.  You can see the white markings on it as well.  Also, the rear-tiedowns are also the same color.  The color is much brighter than the iron oxide that I see on the front of the chunk and under other vehicles.  Does anyone have anything similar, or is this some kind of aftermarket paint job.  I used electrolysis to remove the rust from the tiedown and found the red color (the black is the film left from electrolysis).   I want to restore it to the correct color, so I would love more insight from more veteran restorers.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 04:07:10 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Mach-1: 428 CJ built in Metuchen
9T02R117819

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 9" NJ Built Red Axle & Rear end Question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 04:14:35 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope the information and support you find here is helpful in your restoration projects

For future reference you might consider placing your cars information - What it is, where it was built and when - to your signature in the profile button in the tool bar above. Really helps identify much of the details we will need to respond to questions or what information you share about your car.

So from your pictures it appears that someone in the past took a red rattle can to the rearend of the car. Likely the cars rear was jacked up with air shocks so someone thought it would be a good idea since it was more visible. The red paint on the tie down confirms this IMHO

Have seen a fair number of these as well I've owned one that was red just like this and another in blue.  Have seen at least one where the owner painted the Ford oval on the back of the housing also.  Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline FBVet

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 06:21:13 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  It has been exciting to get started. Upon further inspection, the red has been painted on areas that would not have been painted, so that makes sense. I have a Deluxe Marti report that came with the car, but where can I find a past set of MCA judging sheets to know what the paint colors/markings should be for the axle and undercarriage (and other areas).
9T02R117819

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 07:22:22 PM »
mca judging sheets/rules will not contain that information. try the library section here.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 07:33:50 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  It has been exciting to get started. Upon further inspection, the red has been painted on areas that would not have been painted, so that makes sense. I have a Deluxe Marti report that came with the car, but where can I find a past set of MCA judging sheets to know what the paint colors/markings should be for the axle and undercarriage (and other areas).

There is no sheet or document made by MCA or anyone else for markings and such. For details just restoring I suggest bypassing MCA judging sheets and use the good forums to find and provide those such details as judging sheets are limited by space and don't have illustrations nor pictures to help show the details. Also understand that some of the cars built at the multiple car assembly plants share details and marking while other marks it will depend on the assembly plant and time period the car was built. So there are likely thousands of different combinations if you were to look for all of the markings that might have been applied to your car. It takes me about 8-10 hours to put together a list

And of course this post could not be complete if I didn't mention that you should not just copy marks you find on the interest or from other 69s since you often don't know that cars details or if restored if they made up the markings, assumed things based on what they had heard, or borrowed them from completely different cars. The search starts with your car on those original parts. Clean carefully, document, research and confirm the marking then consider reapplying them. For the missing or typical ones we can discuss those here - seems to be the place  ;)

Since your new you might also want to look through the Library section of the site now that you have access to it. Besides others there is an Article on basic paint markings that should provide some areas and parts to check on your car fro markings.   Also another source is your cars original build sheet though it will show how the part was to be marked and not always exactly how it was marked

Lastly we suggest you don't worry about paint marks unless every other details has been address and made to replicate the original look. Nothing IMHO looks more out of place than a correctly applied paint mark on a poor reproduction part on one finished incorrectly. Think we've all seen those cars. Even worst is the cars with lots of wrong or incorrectly finished parts and marks and stickers that are incorrect. 

Like these

Easy to see some things should have been addressed before they thought about paint marks

Yes that is the #2 bolt in cross member in the upper left with what was likely the sway bar marks from a later car  :o  Alternator has multiple issues

Plenty of things but wanted to point out that the buyer/owner cut apart stickers to make the one on top of the PS pump.  ???  Why?

Example of a replacement part taken out of the box, someone slapped a paint daub on it and installed it as is. Car was a NJ built car so most of you will notice other details related to the thread subject

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 09:47:41 PM »
Ouch my eyes!! I can't unsee that stuff. :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline FBVet

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 04:22:03 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I guess I have a lot to learn.
9T02R117819

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 10:38:05 PM »
Jeez. That's pretty bad.

My own rule is if I find an original marking - and it has to be a real one - I document how i looked before I restored the car. Then I reproduce it as faithfully as possible as part of my restoration. I don't copy anyone else's restoration or original marks because they never seem to be quite the same.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock