Author Topic: Inspection decal 1972  (Read 2831 times)

Offline c9zx

Inspection decal 1972
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »
Were the "F B T P" inspection stickers used on 1972 Mustangs? If so, what were the color(s) and placement of the stickers?

Thanks, Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

1969 G code Cougar Eliminator
1972 Q code Mach 1, auto, air, 2F05Q183426, 03/16/72
CSX 7031

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Inspection decal 1972
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »
Not sure which ones were used in 72 - not allot of sources out there.

IMHO there was likely (based on 71 and 73 a mixture of ink stamps and stickers used.

Do have a red "C" sticker on the inside of the trunk lid (upper right when fully open) of a 72 sportroof

And a 72 Grande (spring built car) with a black "C" on the bottom of the trunk lid  (center left edge when fully open)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline c9zx

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:21:16 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I hadn't heard about the C on the inside of the trunk lid before. The 71s seem to have used the letters on the cowl and left top shock tower per the 71 429 mustang/cougar site. The shortage of information on these years makes it difficult to know what is correct or even likely. Do you know of any 71-73 judges who might be able to help with such details? I will complete the car in May and I'm still struggling with the details (paint daub colors, decals, etcetera) and indeed the devil is in them. Thanks for your help.

Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

CSX 7031

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:04:11 PM »
Chuck understand the difficulty and the vacuum (when compared to some of the other years and models)  for these models. The problem is that 71's (likely due to the interest in the CJ's or Boss 351's)  are possibly different and the reason I didn't look at those when I responded to your question.

Nice thing is that the paint marks _ well many of them - can be added later when your certain (cars are almost never really done ;) of what is correct and you will not loose any points for lacking them

Assume you got most of the marks from the buildsheets, for the springs, sway bar, driveline and such
Jeff Speegle

Offline c9zx

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:52:11 PM »
The stickers as you said can be added later. I'm still working on decoding the build sheet. I've figured out a few things. It seems the only part that reserves 2 spaces for a paint code is the driveshaft (E, 15-22). These boxes contain LA,R_,W_,OR. Lavender,Red, White, Orange (confirmed withe original driveshaft). In other boxes a single L appears (E 14). I assume this means Lavender also. In E 37 an O appears. I assume this means Orange also.
 Here is what I think I know;
 A=azure (blue)
 G=green
 T=tan
 L=lavender
 LA=Lavender
 R=red
 Y=yellow
 M=magenta
 O=orange
 W=white
 Here is what I don't know;
 V= vermilion, verdigris ???
 P=pink, purple, pumpkin ???
 B=brown, bronze, Blue, black ???
 L=lapis, lime, lemon ???
 F=fuchsia, flesh, faun ???
 N=nude, negra (black), Navy ???

I don't even know for a certainty that Ford used the same abbreviations for the same color from year to year. If you could confirm or correct what I think I know it would be very helpful. If you could shed any light on what I don't know that would be great. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck

CSX 7031

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »
I don't even know for a certainty that Ford used the same abbreviations for the same color from year to year. If you could confirm or correct what I think I know it would be very helpful. If you could shed any light on what I don't know that would be great. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

We know that things like the buck tag codes often changed so the safe assumption IMHO is to treat the codes on the buildsheets the same. The good thing for you in 72 is that you only have one assembly plant to deal with so at least that can reduce some confusion

At the same time I thing we have to at least consider the codes/colors used in earlier years

Single codes are the most difficult

V= vermilion, verdigris ???

P=pink, purple, pumpkin ???
P is likely Pink

B=brown, bronze, Blue, black ???
Brown or Blue IMHO would be the most likely possibilities 

L=lapis, lime, lemon ???
Would not be lime or lemon since both could be described as light green (lime)  or yellow (lemon)

F=fuchsia, flesh, faun ???
Flesh IMHO would more likely be described as tan I think

N=nude, negra (black), Navy ???
Might even mean No mark or color But that would not make sense if the "N" was part of a series of codes

Also some of the codes shown on sheet likely do not identify (example console) a color code but another type of identification or bin location

Then it all goes out the window when you compare original marks to buildsheets.  Example I have 71 sheets that suggest that the upper mark on a disc brake spindle was A but I have pink on original spindles and A for identification though I have white and maybe a fuchsia, for that year and model :(

That is why this is not easy at all and there are plenty of opportunities to make the wrong choice
Jeff Speegle

Offline c9zx

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
Thanks Jeff. It seems for now that many of the parts will be "naked" until I can break the "enigma code". Where are the people from Blechly Park when you need them :). I really appreciate your help. It is rare to get a reply on most sites when inquiring about the details of 71-73 Mustangs. If I still had the 1969 GT 350 things would be easier, I think.

Thank You,
Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

CSX 7031

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 01:34:43 AM »
Unfortunately retired workers have not been allot of help with the abbreviations so far.

As for being more difficult than 69 Shelby's you might have picked the GT500 to compare - they are allot more researched than a 350 that year.  Or were
Jeff Speegle