Author Topic: How to repair....looking for suggestions  (Read 2021 times)

Offline bwross

How to repair....looking for suggestions
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »
When I pulled the dash AC vents out of my 67 SJ Coupe I found that a previous owner had apparently stripped one of the mount studs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a possible means of repairing this stud or a method of doing a jury rig?  Since these vents are apparently hard to come by, and this one is in pretty good condition overall, I'd really like to be able to put it back in the car.

thanks,
Bruce

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: How to repair....looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »
You might try drilling a hole in the stud, tap it and use a small screw with a washer to attach.  Should be able to wiggle a small socket/ratchet with an extension behind there.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 02:17:25 PM »
You really don't need to do anything with the "broken" stud. The center vent will stay in place using the alignment tabs from the dash cluster and the passengerside dash panel trim. Over the years, I have rarely found any nuts on these or any signs of a nut being on the studs.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline KCodeK

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 03:13:19 PM »
You might try drilling a hole in the stud, tap it and use a small screw with a washer to attach.  Should be able to wiggle a small socket/ratchet with an extension behind there.

This is what I would do, but I would use a piece of all thread or a piece of a screw with the head cut off and super glue it in and put a nut and washer on when I installed it.

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »

I don't know that could be tricky.  Ive never seen one but from the picture it looks like the stud is sheared off in there?  That might be difficult to drill then as I imagine the screw is harder then the stud around it.  There also doesn't seem to be much meat to play with.  Definitely if your going to go this route start with a small drill bit and use tape or something on the bit as a guide prevent you from drilling all the way through by accident.   You will also probably want a flat bottom tap to prevent so you can get the most threads in there.  If you really don't need it as Pete says I would try without first.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline bwross

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:15:47 AM »
My thanks to all for your thoughts......I guess I'm just going to try the no nut approach first and see how it goes before attempting to thread a stud.

thanks again,
Bruce