Author Topic: '67 Trunk courtesy lights  (Read 328 times)

Offline 67gta289

'67 Trunk courtesy lights
« on: September 09, 2015, 02:21:30 PM »
NOTE: This thread originally contained both under hood and trunk lights but after five pages became difficult to follow the two combined inner threads that developed. Because of this on Oct 22, 2023 and is here https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11981.0 The first 39 posts in this thread are from that original thread.

A few more pics of the trunk light
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 12:07:01 AM by J_Speegle »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline socalgt

Re: Re: '67 Trunk courtesy lights
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:42:27 PM »
Does the wire from the trunk light pigtail into the trunk wiring on the driver side....or does it run under the driver door sill plate and connect somewhere forward from there?...to hot wire I assume, since it needs to be powered all the time.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »
The one I have from an early Dearborn car is a long single conductor wire from the door jamb area.  Black wire not sure if there is a stripe.  Has a woven protector on the wire. Ran under drivers side door sill plate and over wheel well.  A bullet connector to the single wire mounted to the deck lid. Connection in the air below the trunk gutter drivers side.  Hope this makes sense. 
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 12:45:42 AM »
I'll look for the wire coming into the trunk for the light.  I assume it enters the trunk through the same opening as the tail light wiring.  If I don't see it, I'll remove the driver door sill plate and look.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 05:58:41 AM »
Correct.  The ones I've seen can over the wheel well with the tail light harness.  The trunk wire had a narrow cloth tape band to attach it to the tail light harness, then split off to go up to the decklid.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
My 67 did not originally have the trunk light Option. However, as mentioned above, the wire with a female bullet connector runs over the wheel well, next to the taillight harness. I have attached a picture for your info.
I have also attached a picture of my Hood Light wire, socket and fuse assembly. It is Part # C7ZZ-15702-A (the bracket is stamped C7ZB-15702-A).
Also attached is a picture of my NOS Trunk Light assembly that I am going to use. It is Part # C7ZZ-13A756-A (the bracket is stamped C7ZB-13A756-A).
Finally, I do have two used Cougar Trunk Lights, one with original wiring (51" long), and bullet connector, and one with a replacement wire and bullet connector. the mercury switches on both work fine. These are identical to the Mustang ones except the brackets are stamped C7WB-13A756-A. If interested, send PM.
Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 06:50:41 PM »
Some of these have been posted in an earlier thread

All San Jose examples

Ignore the body color on the wire - repainted car
Wire retainer

« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 11:53:16 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:31:49 PM »
My 67 did not originally have the trunk light Option. However, as mentioned above, the wire with a female bullet connector runs over the wheel well, next to the taillight harness. I have attached a picture for your info.
I have also attached a picture of my Hood Light wire, socket and fuse assembly. It is Part # C7ZZ-15702-A (the bracket is stamped C7ZB-15702-A).
Also attached is a picture of my NOS Trunk Light assembly that I am going to use. It is Part # C7ZZ-13A756-A (the bracket is stamped C7ZB-13A756-A).
Finally, I do have two used Cougar Trunk Lights, one with original wiring (51" long), and bullet connector, and one with a replacement wire and bullet connector. the mercury switches on both work fine. These are identical to the Mustang ones except the brackets are stamped C7WB-13A756-A. If interested, send PM.
Bob
  So, was the trunk light wire already there even though the light wasn't original to your car, or did you run one for the light?

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 11:30:36 PM »
No, I did not add the wire. It was just sitting there in the wheel well with the female bullet connector, waiting for the luggage compartment light (or reel light or accessory trunk light) to be attached.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 01:39:02 AM »
No, I did not add the wire. It was just sitting there in the wheel well with the female bullet connector, waiting for the luggage compartment light (or reel light or accessory trunk light) to be attached.

+1
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 02:52:11 PM »
If your vehicle didn't come with the courtesy lamp group, you don't have the wire. I sent my original hood lamp and trunk courtesy lamp feed wire that runs to the trunk to Alloy Metal Products, that's why they are now available. He needed original examples, and they are relatively scarce.

The original trunk lamp courtesy feed wire is not part of the tail lamp harness, but an individual lead that is cloth taped about every 16" to the tail lamp harness.
                                                                               -Keith

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 10:53:38 PM »
Keith : I think we need to "step back" and take a little more detailed look in regard to the Trunk Light wire. While I've seen many Fastbacks and Coupes, I've never documented the Trunk Light Wire occurrences. I can speak for my January Dearborn Convertible however. As everyone knows, the Convertibles did not have Dome Lights, so they were furnished "Standard" with the two under dash mounted Courtesy Lights. Thus, I believe, this is why my car has the Factory wire for the Trunk Light, which is, as you noted, a separate wire cloth taped to the taillight harness. Thus I believe that your statement might have been better if it were said "if your car is a Coupe or Fastback and you don't have the Courtesy Light Option, then you won't have the wire for the Trunk Light". Maybe we can get some additional feedback from Coupe, Fastback and Convertible owners to confirm this. Sounds like it's definitely an  item for further investigation.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 08:12:44 AM »
I was under the impression that both the trunk and under hood courtesy light harnesses were not included in vehicles without those options.  However, my data set is small.  My contribution will be three vehicles:

1. 7R02C156xxx did not have the option, and does not have the wires.
2. 7T01C144xxx did not have the option, and does not have the wires.
3. 7F01C129xxx had the option, and had the wires.

Here are some pictures of the harness that I harvested from 7F01C129xxx

In the first picture, I have highlighted in red the separate, but parallel, wire for the trunk light.  It is literally a single wire, with protective sleeve, that runs the distance.

Yes, that is my understanding. If the option was ordered, only then the wire would be present. Bob points out an interesting observation though. His CONVERTIBLE had the wire already in place, however his car was NOT equipped with the trunk lamp.

I seem to recall in another thread that the convertible TAILIGHT harness was different than the Coupe/Fastbacks and Alloy Metal reproduction harnesses are listed as available similarly. Recollection tells me that a MPC image shared elsewhere in another thread, didn't help to clarify why a convertible would be different. It is clear to me that the taillight harness difference would exist for "With Low Fuel" or "Without Low Fuel", but I didn't understand why a convertible used different taillight harnesses than the others (maybe the cost of including just one extra wire for a dome light? That alone didn't really add up). My assumptions at that time were that the convertible DID NOT NEED A FEED WIRE FOR A DOME LIGHT and the other two did so this simply saved a few pennies in production costs. Possibly, as Bob has pointed out already, there is a little more here to discover about why there would be this extra wire on some cars (as Jeff also seemed to be confirming) that was NOT USED on certain applications.

Bob, on your convertible (or Marty, since you also have a convertible), Is your 12v supply wire for the trunk light taped separately onto the taillight harness like the pictures John just shared above and like every other example discussed to date on this subject? If the trunk light wire is taped into the taillight harness (read as NOT taped ONTO the harness) maybe this helps some. Just a possibility that we can rule in or rule out here. The assembly manuals do not detail any differences for a convertible, the only images shown demonstrate the design of the convertible wiring layout as being identical to the coupes.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:26:50 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »
Yes, that is my understanding. If the option was ordered, only then the wire would be present. Bob points out an interesting observation though. His CONVERTIBLE had the wire already in place, however his car was NOT equipped with the trunk lamp.

I did catch that, and the theory is valid.  I agree that we need more samples.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 09:22:13 AM »
It has been my experience that there was a standard harness and a optional one that had all of the options available in it. It also is a possibility that if the assembly line was out of the standard version the optional one was used. Our 11-04-66 GTA convertible has the trunk light wire taped to the tail light harness. Our car is a early car and in latter cars the trunk light harness may have been incorporated in to the taillight harness.
Marty