Author Topic: '67 Trunk courtesy lights  (Read 329 times)

Offline 196667Bob

Re: Re: '67 Trunk courtesy lights
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »
The Electrical Assembly Manual calls for 3 - 379061-S clips. However, it looks like once again we are faced with a hardware number that is an Engineering number as it doesn't appear in any of the Standard and Utility Parts books, or in either AMK's Guide to Fasteners Book, or their online catalog. However, part # 379061-S does show in their hard copy products catalog - but, it is a plastic clip ??

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
The Electrical Assembly Manual calls for 3 - 379061-S clips. However, it looks like once again we are faced with a hardware number that is
an Engineering number as it doesn't appear in any of the Standard and Utility Parts books,
A point of reference. part number 379061-S is an "engineering" number only because someone in engineering reserved that number for use as a "standard" hardware part. It does not appear in available documentation because it was not used universally but was used in special cases for wire retention from 65 thru 68.
However, part # 379061-S does show in their hard copy products catalog - but, it is a plastic clip ??

You should have some faith and confidence in the research that Max at AMK has put into his products. Yes it is plastic.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »
The MPC explicitly lists the -S and -S100 (rubber coating) for this part as being available.  I’m leaning towards the -S based on what I’ve seen in person and in pictures of largely original unrestored cars. 

I looked at the assembly manual and determined that in this case it was so off the mark for the 67, and perhaps 68, that I would dismiss it for the part in question.  The route and quantity of clips looks good.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 08:30:39 PM »
The MPC explicitly lists the -S and -S100 (rubber coating) for this part as being available.  I’m leaning towards the -S based on what I’ve seen in person and in pictures of largely original unrestored cars. 

+1
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 10:09:15 PM »
+1 I didn't mean to imply that the clip should be the plastic clip, just that it is what was sown in the assembly manual. I personally, have never seen, or seen a picture of, anything but the uncoated metal, clip that John previously described.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline Deuce

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »
Is yours a NJ 67?  Not saying they are different but can't at the moment confirm that they are the same. Or the same number or location ;)

Returning a little late to this discussion with a delayed reply; my car is a SJ 67 (Nov 66).  Can it be said at this point that these clips were used on 67 cars from all three plants?
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2022, 02:43:21 PM »
As this thread was started about 7 years ago, a lot has occurred since then in terms of revelations, clarifications, etc. This is especially true in regard to the Factory Luggage Compartment Lamp. I thought it would be a good idea to clarify this for future readers.

The Factory Luggage compartment Light was only available as part of the ?Courtesy Light Group Factory Option?. It was not a ?stand alone? Option.
The Black with Blue stripe wire with the female bullet connector which ran over the wheel well in the luggage compartment that I posted early in the thread, is not correct for the Factory Luggage Compartment Light. The correct wiring should be as John (67gta289) noted early in the thread, and run from the ?hot? side of the courtesy light switch, run under the sill plate, and into the Trunk. I have attached a copy from the Factory Electrical Assembly Manual that shows the correct routing. Also, note that this wire is Green with a Yellow Stripe.

The Black with Blue Stripe wire that I mistakenly implied was for the Factory Luggage Compartment Light, is actually a pigtail from the Taillight Wiring Harness (only is ?hot? when the Parking Lights are on), and is shown in the Instructions for the Accessory Trunk Light (either fixed type or retractable removable type) to feed power to it.

Hope this helps clarify the Factory Luggage Compartment Lamp connections.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2022, 11:27:15 PM »
The Black with Blue Stripe wire that I mistakenly implied was for the Factory Luggage Compartment Light, is actually a pigtail from the Taillight Wiring Harness (only is ?hot? when the Parking Lights are on), and is shown in the Instructions for the Accessory Trunk Light (either fixed type or retractable removable type) to feed power to it.
Ummm, I don't think so.  Black/blue stripe is switched courtesy lights, controlled by door jamb or headlight switch turned all the way past the detent while the switch knob is pulled.  The female bullet is for the sail panel courtesy lights found in fastbacks; not sure about coupes, but definitely not used in convertibles.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2022, 03:06:47 AM »
Randy : You are of course correct ; a Black wire with a Blue stripe would not be a Taillight wire, but a Courtesy Light wire. However, don't let my poor memory on this over shadow the point I was trying to make ; this Black wire with the Blue stripe is not for the factory trunk light.

As for why that is in my Convertible, that is a good question ; it has always been there, and was not added. It would seem odd that Ford used the same harness that included that wire in both Fastbacks and Convertibles ? The only explanation might be "It's a Ford.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2022, 09:14:59 AM »
Randy : You are of course correct ...

...Thanks for pointing that out.

Bob
Yeah...I was triggered inside to respond (from memory too) but learned to not always trust my memory without documentation (especially in such a post that becomes a form of history).

Regarding the black and blue female bullet connector in the rear quarter panel area, of some harnesses, a fastback and coupe (standard interior models) requires that female bullet connection for the rear courtesy lights (fastback) or dome light (standard interior coupe). Convertibles do not need a connector in this location. I see no point why a fastback/coupe taillight harness couldn't function correctly on a convertible so is it possible that the assemblyline coupe/fastback harness was also installed onto some convertible applications? Interesting to note, some vendors do not (or did not) have this correlation correct. I've not reviewed the 67-only or later MPC's for availability in the Service World but that could be a place a person might look for a few more clues about these tailight harness differences.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments