1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Mustang

69 Mach 1 Styled Steel Wheel Restoration Questions

(1/4) > >>

STAUBY38:
Hello All,    I have a set of original styled steel wheels I am looking to have re-chromed and I am running into the issue that all the chrome shops I have inquired with do not separate the center chrome section from the outer section or re assemble.  As you are aware, the wheel is made in two part and riveted together.  The center is chromed and the outer wheel is painted then assembled with large rivets.   What I would like to do or have done is the wheel separated, the center re chromed and the outer section re painted.  Then have it re assembled.

Does anyone know if someone does this or can point me in the right direction.  If no one does this and there are so many styled wheels out there from back in the day, I was thinking of going into business restoring these wheels if I could fine all the stuff needed to do it.  Obviously there are many factors to consider including the riveting process.

I spoke to expert chrome shops in CA & PA and both say they can separate and re chrome but not re assemble.  That's the issue.  Obtaining rivets and safely re assembling seems to be the issue.

Anyone have any resources they can direct me to?

Thanks!

Bob Gaines:
I have always heard it was a issue of product liability why none of the wheel shops will re rivet wheels.

STAUBY38:
I'm just shocked after all these years that you can't find someone who restores them especially since pretty much everything else can be restored.   Any ideas if you can get the rivets for them ?

J_Speegle:
Some have gone to the extent (don't ask me who) to us domed allen head bolts to replace the rivets

Just reports and posts as a source of this

STAUBY38:
Interesting !   Could possibly work.  I need to find a machinist and see what they think about the integrity of one vs the other I guess

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version