Author Topic: Restoring Aluminun intake  (Read 8784 times)

Offline JKWilson

Re: Restoring Aluminun intake
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:24:09 AM »
Jeff I recently "discovered" what produces a pretty nice result. I used fine glass bead with a blasting pressure of approx. 40lbs. I had done some previous blasting with a low pressure and forgot to turn the pressure back up on my booth regulator. The resulting finish is pretty bright (which surprised me after I began!). I had none of the dull flat finish normally seen with higher pressures. I've done about 6 pieces now with the same results.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:26:10 AM by JKWilson »
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »
Jeff I recently "discovered" what produces a pretty nice result. I used fine glass bead with a blasting pressure of approx. 40lbs. I had done some previous blasting with a low pressure and forgot to turn the pressure back up on my booth regulator. The resulting finish is pretty bright (which surprised me after I began!). I had none of the dull flat finish normally seen with higher pressures. I've done about 6 pieces now with the same results.

Tried walnut shells and other things  have not gotten a great results as of yet. Not looking for the bright just blasted look nor the rough surface most blasting produces but instead a semi-smooth darker finish (can brighten up the machined surfaces) you find on new intakes you see out of the box
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 266ks

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 12:46:47 AM »
The finish is the same as a new edelbrock intake manifold.