Author Topic: 67 S Code Driveshaft Detailing  (Read 2804 times)

Offline 390Pony

• It's all Good
67 S Code Driveshaft Detailing
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »
Looking for some help on detailing the driveshaft of my 12/66 Dearborn built 67 S code, non-GT, 4 spd, no power accy., 3.25 traction lok rear. Besides the orange ends, here's what I've uncovered so far front to back

Trans yoke has baby blue paint on half
thin white stripe front to back thicker on ends
white stripe followed by pink around the shaft near middle
orange stripe around shaft near rear
yellow dab

Is this close to what I should find ?...Any help is greatly appreciated. :D

Vince

Offline 390Pony

• It's all Good
Re: 67 S Code Driveshaft Detailing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »
After more cleaning....details firming up.

Front to Rear -
Trans yoke has baby blue paint covering half the yoke.
White mark in shape of cross that looks like grease. Starts thick, runs 1/3 of the way to the rear.
Dark blue ring followed by baby blue ring, followed by pink ring around the shaft near middle.
Orange stripe ring around the shaft near the rear
yellow dab
similar white grease cross that extends 1/3 of the way to the front.
Both front and rear driveshaft yokes are orange.

The two white cross marks do not appear to connect in the middle.
Also the middle three rings appear to have been painted on while the shaft was standing on the front yoke as there are large runs that run toward the front yoke.

I'll try to attach pictures.... I created a gallery and posted a few..let me know what you think..anything else I should look for to uncover ?http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=5;u=607
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:01:03 PM by 390Pony »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »
Thanks - look forward to documenting pictures ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:00:39 AM »
The white stripe you mention is similar to the line I saw on a 68 S code C6 sriveshaft a few days ago. I drove six hours to look at what was to be an unrestored semi preserved 68 S code fastback to try to get some info info on the C6 in the car. i was hoping it would still retain some of its marks. Regretfully once I got there and took a look at the engine compartment it was far from original unrestored. A quick check of the bellhousing and I figured the trans had been fooled with too since it was way too clean. Got under it and my suspisions were confirmed. Must have been rebuilt in the last 10 years from the looks of it. But since i was already there I figured to look at some other items. Wanted to see what might be on the diff and the driveshaft. A quick shot of brake cleaner melted 3 decades of road grime immeditely and the rear yoke lit up in a yellowish orange. i would have to say it was more grabber orange then true orange. So I wnt to the middle of the shaft and gave that a shot. The marks i expected were there but with a twist. The first stripe was not what i had thought it would be. Then a magenta/pink large daub followed the three. So I decided to look at the front yoke. The one out of the tranny was very pale pink. Just like a pic i had been e-mailed. Much lighter then the traces of color I found on  mine. The front yoke of the shaft was not orange. thats when the white stripe showed up that you mentioned. About 1/8" wide running from the front weld seamm back towards the center stripes.

By the way, initially I thought someone had shot the underside in black so i figured it was a late build Dearborn car like mine. But as i was shooting the brake clean i missed the driveshaft and got some on the floor by the tunnel. It lit up orange/red oxide. Thats when i asked the owner to read off the second chaaracter off the Vin and he said T so I knew it was a metuchen build. The floors on this southern car were really nice. The road grime seems to have kept the undercarriage well preserved. I only had an hour to spend looking the car over so at least i got this info and pics. The search for

Offline 390Pony

• It's all Good
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »
See second post for link to gallery with pictures