Author Topic: Assembly Line Flow Chart  (Read 14963 times)

Offline Pete Bush

Assembly Line Flow Chart
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:57:28 AM »
Bryan,

Here is a suggested Assembly Line Flow to get you started:

1.   Vehicle sales order transmitted to production floor
2.   Startup on the Body and Paint line (BP)
3.   Rotation Number and build options assigned
4.   Assemble Front Structure subassembly on “Merry-Go-Round”
5.   VIN Number stamped
6.   Front Floor Pan Assembly
7.   Rear Floor Pan Assembly
8.   Quarter panels, trunk, and roof sheet metal
9.   “Body-In –White” complete and loaded onto skid (Tool #49-ZF-3089) and moved into paint shop
10.   Primer
11.   Interior color
12.   Exterior Color
13.   Engine bay
14.   Convertible & vinyl top fabric
15.   Holding and inspection
16.   Rotation number re-start for Trim and Chassis line – broadcast sheet generated
17.   Startup on Trim and Chassis line (TC)
18.   Data plate riveted to door and paper broadcast sheet taped to radiator support
19.   Dashboard assemblies installed
20.   Electrical components
21.   Glass
22.   “Body Drop” – chassis hoisted off skid and settled onto rear axle/leaf spring assembly
23.   Engine and transmission installed
24.   Front end sheet metal, fenders, and  grille assemblies
25.   Hood
26.   Wheels & tires
27.   Front seats installed
28.   Fluids installed
29.   Engine startup and testing
30.   Holding and inspection
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: Assembly Line Flow Chart
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:24:20 AM »
Pete,

Just to give me an idea, how 000% certain are you of this sequence?
And give me a feel for how you put this list together.

Thanks,
Bryan
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:33:52 AM »
I'd say that the list is about 80-90% accurate. I'm not sure about the VIN stamping (item #5). It actually might have been performed later, but sometime before paint.

The list was compiled from references and pictures of the Dearborn plant during the early years of Mustang production. Some of the items are references from the Allen Park facility (per Bob Fria's book).

As I go through my files and pictures, I'll update accordingly. This is just a starting point to familiarize you.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »
Finally found it!!!

A picture reference by Jim Smart indicating the VIN number was stamped sometime after the roof assembly was welded on.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:07:39 PM »
The list was compiled from references and pictures of the Dearborn plant during the early years of Mustang production. Some of the items are references from the Allen Park facility (per Bob Fria's book).

Remember that Allen Park didn't assemble production cars that was where they showed the plants how they had figured out how to assemble  - of course they took that info back with them and modified that to fit their plant, layout and specific situation

Couple comments

The inspections were an on going thing - some may have taken place at mid point but most took place on the line to correct the problem (if any) before another part got put in the way or would effect the visibility of the problem or its fix. Some of the inspectors (not the final inspectors) described being on the line with the assembly workers

Was told by a manager that the  tops were handled after they got to the holding area  since few cars needed this and if handled on the line it would slow up all the car

Not sure what you mean by "dash board assembly"? Think the electrical would need to be in place before you closed up the dash.  and of course the main loom would have to be in.

Dearborn in 65-66  looks like the wheels were on before much of the interior parts were added

Noticed you skipped the suspension That would have to be before your "body drop" thing

Looking at some pictures the rear wheels were on before the front ones and before the front sheet metal. This would allow them to spray the front wheelwells after everything is in place but apparently they already had the rear ones in place - looking at the pictures

Looking at Dearborn pictures 65-66 looks like hood after wheels and tires possible one of the last things. Guess that would make things easier if there was engine start up issues, filling fluids and such

Looking at pictures they might have done some of the fluids at the same time as front seats

Enough for now

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:17:17 AM »
I used Bob Fria's description of Allen Park assembly as it gave the sequence of major components. It is one of the most complete written descriptions I have found to-date.

I'd agree about ongoing inspections, but without specific details, I don't know where to insert them into the flow of things.

The "dash board assembly" is a term that Fria used. I believe that he's probably talking about the dash pad and instrument cluster. I'd agree that the wiring loom would logically precede this, but I have no pictures of same.

I've been doing a comparative analysis, as you have, of pictures. Front seats and carpeting appear to have been installed after wheels. Door panels were installed much earlier. Like you, I've been inferring some things based upon parts that couldn't have been placed before another parts was, for instance, glass before door panels, or carpet before console.

I have a portion of video clip that shows the front and rear wheels being installed simultaneously after the front fenders were installed, and after the front sheet metal was in place.

I have fluids installed after the hood, and the air cleaner was not installed until after the hood also. I'm guessing the air cleaner wasn't installed until after start up so that the carburetor could be primed.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 07:21:26 AM »
I've updated my suggestion for a flow chart and say it's probably 90-95% accurate. There might be some minor items, such as the console that might be out of position by one or two spaces. The side mirror may have been placed before the console. Or the front seats.

Dearborn
1.   Vehicle sales order transmitted to production floor
2.   Startup on the Body and Paint line (BP)
3.   Rotation Number and build options assigned
4.   Assemble Front Structure subassembly on “Merry-Go-Round”
5.   Front Floor Pan Assembly
6.   Rear Floor Pan Assembly
7.   Quarter panels, Rocker panel (holes punched for accent molding before attached to car)
8.   Trunk, and roof sheet metal
9.   Lead Work
10.   VIN Number stamped
11.   “Body-In –White” complete and loaded onto skid (Tool #49-ZF-3089) and moved into paint shop
12.   Primer
13.   Interior color
14.   Exterior Color
15.   Engine bay
16.   Convertible & vinyl top fabric (boot?)
17.   Holding and inspection
18.   Rotation number re-start for Trim and Chassis line – broadcast sheet generated
19.   Startup on Trim and Chassis line (TC)
20.   Data plate riveted to door and paper broadcast sheet taped to radiator support
21.   Wiring and Electrical components
22.   Glass
23.   Dashboard, Sunvisors  and door panel assemblies installed
24.   Quarter Accent molding
25.   Tail-Lights
26.   Front suspension
27.   Brake lines
28.   “Body Drop” – chassis hoisted off skid and settled onto rear axle/leaf spring assembly
29.   Steering column and steering wheel
30.   Engine and transmission installed
31.   Rear bumper
32.   Front fenders
33.   Front end sheet metal, grille assemblies, Front Valance w/ parking lights, Headlight bucket
34.   Front Bumper
35.   Rocker Molding
36.   Wheels & tires
37.   Headlights
38.   Hood
39.   Carpet
40.   Console
41.   Front seats installed
42.   Side mirror (remote mirror installed earlier)
43.   Fluids installed
44.   Engine startup and testing
45.   Air Cleaner
46.   Accent stripes installed
47.   Quality Control Area - Holding and inspection

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 09:03:26 AM »
WOW!  at 90-95%  ...  I'm gonna get started.   Does anyone know at what point in this process the body (still on skid) changed from nose-first travel, to sideways travel, like shown in the Martha and the Vandellas video?
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 02:28:39 PM »
WOW!  at 90-95%  ...  I'm gonna get started.   Does anyone know at what point in this process the body (still on skid) changed from nose-first travel, to sideways travel, like shown in the Martha and the Vandellas video?

Help me out please - are we discussing Dearborn or NJ in 65-66?

If NJ do we even know it they did that at that plant? 
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
I've updated my suggestion for a flow chart and say it's probably 90-95% accurate. .........

A couple of items I noticed

20.   Data plate riveted to door and paper broadcast sheet taped to radiator support

Buiildsheets were added to the front and rear of the body to assist workers in identifying the car as approached from either end

28.   “Body Drop” – chassis hoisted off skid and settled onto rear axle/leaf spring assembly
29.   Steering column and steering wheel

Steering column and wheel are in place when the body was placed on the rear suspension. Check out the dark color coupe in the one picture dropping down on the rear suspension. Steering wheel is very visible -  so the column must have been there also

35.   Rocker Molding
36.   Wheels & tires

If you look at the picture of the guy putting on the rocker molding - the rear tire is in place while the front tire is not yet installed

In one of the 66 pictures I have of the body drop taking place with the front fenders, grill, headlight buckets but no front valance already installed so apparently they did things differently in 66 verses 64-65 or we have pictures from two different plants.  In that picture the bodies are not coming to the rear suspension at the same part of the plant (looks completely different) or as mentioned - two different places

Might need to rethink some of these
Jeff Speegle

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 06:07:37 PM »
35.   Rocker Molding
36.   Wheels & tires

If you look at the picture of the guy putting on the rocker molding - the rear tire is in place while the front tire is not yet installed

Jeff, here's a link to the Martha Reeves video circa 1965 Dearborn. Look at the part of the video where they are installing wheels - about 2:32 minutes into it. Rocker molding is on and both wheels going on at the same time.

All,
Jeff and I are looking at photos and video clips - and noting changes from one photo of the line to another downstream. Sometimes there are several parts that have been placed during the interval between photos and it's difficult to say the exact order of when each of them was placed.

Buiildsheets were added to the front and rear of the body to assist workers in identifying the car as approached from either end

Do you have a picture reference? I'm lacking one.

Steering column and wheel are in place when the body was placed on the rear suspension. Check out the dark color coupe in the one picture dropping down on the rear suspension. Steering wheel is very visible -  so the column must have been there also

Right you are! I didn't notice it the first time - because of the windshield glare I guess. Good catch :)

In one of the 66 pictures I have of the body drop taking place.......

Mind if I take a look?

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »
Does anyone know at what point in this process the body (still on skid) changed from nose-first travel, to sideways travel, like shown in the Martha and the Vandellas video?

The line makes several such turns. At the start of the video the car are coming rear end first, before making a 90 degree turn. At body drop the car is facing forward. I have another photo where they're all lined up sideways. Sequence looks to be between those noted above.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »
Jeff, here's a link to the Martha Reeves video circa 1965 Dearborn. Look at the part of the video where they are installing wheels - about 2:32 minutes into it. Rocker molding is on and both wheels going on at the same time.

Any one confirm that this was a typical day or a improved film (not unusual for magazines and other publicity shots)?

Do you have a picture reference? I'm lacking one.

Not sure which plant this is - but guessing Dearborn

In one of the 66 pictures I have of the body drop taking place has much of the front sheet metal in place before the car was lowered on the rear suspension
Mind if I take a look?

Never mind :( it was in the wrong sub folder - should have been in the 66 Dutch factory folder. Noticed it when I checked the file name

Sorry
Jeff Speegle

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 09:49:09 PM »
I've been over the photos again, and I can't find a build sheet taped to the rear of a vehicle until sometime around when the front sheet metal was being applied. Would suggest that since the build sheets that were taped to the radiator support were soon to be covered up, that they were removed and taped to the rear.

Also, In the photo that you provided, I can't find a build sheet on the white car in the foreground where the worker is installing carpet. ???

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »
I've been over the photos again, and I can't find a build sheet taped to the rear of a vehicle until sometime around when the front sheet metal was being applied. Would suggest that since the build sheets that were taped to the radiator support were soon to be covered up, that they were removed and taped to the rear.

Number of the cars out there (in pictures) have it applied to the drivers side fender )possibliy both but at this point only seen drivers side front fender

Also, In the photo that you provided, I can't find a build sheet on the white car in the foreground where the worker is installing carpet. ???

Yes noticed that - might have fallen off that car - guess you'll have to ask the carpet installer ;)
Jeff Speegle