Author Topic: Trunk Mat cutting?  (Read 10675 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Trunk Mat cutting?
« on: October 04, 2011, 11:50:28 PM »
As I was putting in the trunk mat into the car i double checked a pic I had of an unrestored 68 Dearborn late May built car i had pics of. I noticed the trunk mat was cut along the gas tank drop below whee the spare tire sits. Is this the way the mats were cut at the factory or was this a past owner modification. it was a fleece backed specled mat which looked original. Also is the jack supposed to go through the J hook? The trunk decal does not show that. The way i read the decal the jack is loose under the tire and in some respects supporting the LH side of the tire. Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trunk Mat cutting?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:52:06 AM »
Yes the jack it open slightly (think total hieght is about 6" at that point) and it sits between the mat (with trunk board below) and the spare tire. The pressure (not the J hook going through it since that's not correct) pf the spare holds it in place

Will have to look at mats - got 5 hours in tonight looking at pictures and my eyes are worn out ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:47:33 AM »
Trunk mats are cut as the one in your pic and do not go up and over the drop on the passenger side
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:55:03 PM »
Thanks guys. Does anyone make a nice re-pop speckled trunk mat like the one in the pic with the fleece back. This car in the pics was built a few weeks before mine at Dearborn so I gotta believe the plaid rubber backed one is wrong which I installed temporarily. My J hook seems to short to mount the jack handle/lug wrench on top like the trunk decal shows. I did mount the jack loose with the base against the trunk drop. Thee was mention of a board. What board? I thought there was only a quarter panel drop board on the drivers side. Don't know of any other boards except the trunk divider board on the convert for the top well.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:18:47 PM »
The board Jeff mentioned is a small piece of masonite type material, about 6"x12".  Sits directly on top of the tank below the sound deadener, I believe.  It would be located directly below where the floor jack would lay.  Found one from a 67 in a junkyard last week and have it in my possession.  Will post pics and dimensions in a day or two.  Also refer to previous post where Jeff provided detailed instructions on how to make a great recreation of the original sound deadener.  I looked quickly in the processes/techniques and did some word searches but could not come up with it. John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:18:40 AM »
I didn't think there was sound deadener pad below trunk mat in a 68? I believe my old 70 Boss 302 had one? Maybe i have the two cars mixed up. Pic of the one you found would be great. Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 02:21:25 AM »
I didn't think there was sound deadener pad below trunk mat in a 68? I believe my old 70 Boss 302 had one? Maybe i have the two cars mixed up. Pic of the one you found would be great. Thanks

It appears that it was there on all later cars (65-66 are still under discussion I believe) though most of the time it fell apart and was tossed at some point. For 67-68 it was only over the tank its self. 69-70 depended on model and body style
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 01:15:42 AM »
Just when I thought the trunk was done. Now a sound deadener mat and a Masonite board. WILL IT EVER END? Thanks

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »
For the record I have never seen the masonite board in a 68. Bear in mind most of my samplings are NJ cars

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 08:14:59 AM »

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »
Here is a picture of the masonite board from a 67 Dearborn built car.  One side is smooth, and one was rough.  I assume that the rough side was on the tank, based on rust stains.  The thickness measures 3/16" but was probably 1/8" originally and is separating due to age and/or water exposure.  I have no knowledge or reference data for MY 68.  This is simply a single reference point.  And we know how dangerous that can be.  But for those that need it, the dimensions are 6"x12".  I put a square against one of the short sides that looked off, and confirmed it was not square.  I could not make out any saw cuts. 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 09:59:48 AM »
Tim thanks for the words of encouragement. I plan on driving the car home on sunday from the shop to show the wife that it's done. I now know better the truth of that statement.  ;)

Offline sparky65

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »
What about trunk mat stitching?  I got to see an original 67 that was built early 67 at Metuchen and i saw that the trunk mat was stitched in the corners.  Was this a common practice on all cars or something that was date or plant specific.  I dont see to many restored cars with this detail.  I do know that the mat I have isn't stitched but I dont know if it is original. 

Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 09:18:09 PM »
What about trunk mat stitching?  I got to see an original 67 that was built early 67 at Metuchen and i saw that the trunk mat was stitched in the corners.  Was this a common practice on all cars or something that was date or plant specific.

Common only to original mats plaid installed at the plants that year

I dont see to many restored cars with this detail. .............

You will find some out there if your lucky. The reason you don't see more is that no one reproduces one with the stitching (workers complain that the mat off gases too bad for them to do it) so owners and shops have to do it themselves.

Was thinking (need to make one for a 67 Shelby I'm helping with) making a template of the stitching. Hold to tape it to the mat, place the stitching through the pattern then remove the paper.

Worth a try ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 10:42:17 AM »
Does the trunk sound deadener mat have square corners or radiuses corners in a 68 application. The unusual thing I found with the car I attached a pic of is a shot showing the gas tank sprayed with a yellow adhesive as well as the same glue on the fleece side of the mat. I wouldn't have thought that the sound deadener if installed would have been glued down.