Author Topic: Front suspension for Early Dearborn  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Dave Stribling

Front suspension for Early Dearborn
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:48:34 PM »
Making sure I am on the right track here. Deabron April 13 64 build 260 coupe.

1. Lower Ball Joint.  The originals have the C20A boots and the screwdriver slot in the top of the stud as below:

My question is - do the upper control arm ball joints have the screwdriver slot in them as well?   I have some C20A uppers with the slot, just trying to make sure before I use them. Unfortunately the original uppers had been changed and are long gone.

2. Control arm Shafts - Pretty sure I have the correct original shafts without the grease fitting holes in the ends.  Pictured next to an NOS service replacement upper

3. On the early control arms upper, were they or were the not dipped halfway, and were the upper shafts installed when the did.

Thanks guys, back to cleaning! - Dave

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Front suspension for Early Dearborn
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:08:18 PM »
I haven't seen ball joint studs with the slots.  The upper boots are typically C4OA also, so you might need to double-check that you have the right ball joints.

The rear shafts without the grease plug are typical for production going at least halfway through '65 model year.

I believe the upper control arms were dipped completely assembled.  There may or may not have been sleeves over the shaft stud threads.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:11:29 AM »
I haven't seen ball joint studs with the slots.  The upper boots are typically C4OA also, so you might need to double-check that you have the right ball joints.

The rear shafts without the grease plug are typical for production going at least halfway through '65 model year.

I believe the upper control arms were dipped completely assembled.  There may or may not have been sleeves over the shaft stud threads.

I know the 65s called out the C4DZ Falcon lower control arm, and I have seen the slotted joints on the Falcons.  this one has the same C20A boot that the lowers you did on your 65 convertible. I am trying to find the other one, its around here somewhere, to see if it was slotted as well.

Going to tumble these shafts and see if they will be usable.  If not the service ones will have to do. 

I know the service replacement and later production line uppers have the C40A boots, but with the slotted lowers I was just confirming the slotted uppers.  It may be one of those "Could be either as they used them up" situations.

Thanks - Dave

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:39:31 PM »
Yes, you're right about the control arms being a borrowed Falcon part.  You may be right about some early cars with slotted studs, maybe some Falcon guys might know more about that?

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »
 Both upper and lower studs in my Aug 64 coupe have slotted studs.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »

Thanks for the information!  - Dave

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 12:39:02 AM »

Cool.  Don't know why I never noticed that!  Been all over that car.