General Discussion > General Discussion

Matching Numbers Documentation

(1/1)

ceswert:
I recently attended a monthly SF bay area Mustang club meeting and listened to an auto appraiser's presentation. I asked him about valuation differences of matching and non matching numbers Ford cars. He said Fords were not true numbers matching because vehicle system id's were not printed on build sheets. He compared Fords to Mopars and GTO's saying these models had id's printed on their build sheets. He also attributed the diference to build practices saying Fords were built in groups and the others were built individually. He did intimate that this difference would influence the appraisal price. This was my interpretation of what he said. Any thoughts?

CharlesTurner:
Sounds to me like the appraiser could use an education on true matching numbers Fords, which many of them were made.

Plenty of examples of build sheets with the VIN.

jwc66k:
I wonder what years the "appraiser" was talking about.
Jim

svo2scj:

--- Quote from: caspian65 on March 15, 2012, 12:40:51 PM ---Sounds to me like the appraiser could use an education on true matching numbers Fords, which many of them were made.
--- End quote ---

Charles is right (and my guess is YOU knew that/felt that way too) !!

I was looking for a post (428CJ.org) from 5+ years ago that would have said and defended exactly what we are talking about. All I could find were similar rants (by me about value, clones and apples to oranges comparisons) .

Basically it is the fact that no two cars are the same for build quality, level of parts used and 'reliability expressed" on many opinions.  IF a car is just the sum of the parts -then you have to have levels (probably 100's) of every combo !

So many appraisers are "armed with books" , view prior sales and look for a comparison (like home values) that don't take items like  repro parts, incorrect date code components and accept "upgrades" as not hurting value!  An Alum radiator is a good example.
Sure it is new, and efficient and is "bolted in" so it can be changed back - US on the other hand view it as a car missing a vital piece , replaced by an over the counter item EASY to get!

Mark

P.S.  You really don't want to read this (do you?)

--- Quote from: x-70option on February 03, 2007, 12:44:07 PM ---What was I thinking writing
--- Quote from: x-70option ---There are too many cars out there!  People are mad at thier money-buying clones, and tribute cars.  Like in the 80's when the "investors" left the market-the current prices maybe leveling/falling!   PARTS are more expensive than the cars.  Do you buy repro smog?  Do you buy original?
IF original can you hold out for date code correct?   Will 428 Shelby buyers force the prices UP, proportionatly to the 12000 built Mustangs?

--- End quote ---
!

Reading Joe's response, thinking of ALL the cars in AZ in January.
Knowing that there are more LS7 Convertible Chevelles then Chevy built on for sale right now effects me!

Just as when the 57 Convertible Fulie sold for $125K 5 yeaars ago every 57 Chevy went on a resotoration pace!   Just as every 67 six cylinder Mustang is now worth $4000 (toward an Elesnor).

Life (cars) get prioritzed.   If you have ONE it is easy to base your time, restoration costs and planned investment.  If you have 15 it changes.
Then there is the value relationship/cost benifit per value in the choices you make.  (what gets painted, what get full restoration, what stays original).

EVERYONE has different motivation.  And I don't mean money.  I have friends that are all about Boss 351's!  Have perfectly restored cars, cars they drive (thousands of miles to event) Race the snott out of! (4:56's and slicks-revlimiter off)  So to them, if I have a Boss 351 in my garage it should be restored!  And it should be first!  (heck I can't even decied if I should use the D1ZF carb-or a holley!)

I learned a long time ago (when I had 37 Triumphs).  A friend like me would find cars in barns for $100 or so.   He would drag home, clean out, wash and wax and put on the front lawn for $500 in a week.  I on the other hand would, strip rebuild motor, weld and paint and in a year sell for $2000.00.  HE WAS MAKING ALOT MORE MONEY (per hour, effort ROI)

There are ABOUT 6 428CJ/SCJ cars coming off rotisery restorations in the next year or so!  ( I say next year or so-as EVERYONE has been a 5 plus year hunt for parts and great efforts by owners!)  I respect this because I'm going through it and feel thier pain!   BUT WE CAN'T COMPARE APPLES to APPLES.  One is non mach, one has a service block, all but one have original exhaust, NONE will be without SOME repro part!   (Cause it isn't the factory in 1969)

JOE-knowing what you are doing is comforting isn't it??????  I started this as reading Jeff's posts (yeah all of them, here and FE forum and....) was painful!   We have been through this (MANY TIMES BEFORE)-most of use learing the hard way!   (Like installing a garbage disposal and not knowing to knock the drain plug out)

While many look at the recent sale (if honored) at $65K as cheap.  IT was or is it.  I don't want a car "built" by hourly workers that last week were building a Pathfinder wreck.   MONEY?  When sold  you make money on the buy not the sale.  If you bought right and sell higher you make money!
IF you bought wrong-good luck.

What do I want from this post???  Nothing!  I have no agenda-don't care if prices go up or down.   I know I'll never drive my car-it's just a spot in the garage.  If it wasn't there there would be another there.  As I go to events, races, auctions and shows I think EVERYCAR is a different beast.
Different in build, value, purpose, condition and MEANING TO THE OWNER.

Mark

--- End quote ---

ceswert:
Thanks to all...Great read. By the way, I drive my cars!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version