1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1971 - 1973

hood blkout

(1/3) > >>

1970shelbyguy:
removed my hood off my 71 429cj  sportsroof today- orig paint 47K mile car.  even though it was painted a dark color there seems to be a matte blk paint applied all along rear btm edge of hood.   also some paint drips visible-  drips indicate the hood was horizontal when painted. drips were under the ram air plenum. no touchups all orig.   also the argent strip applied to leading edge under peak moulding. never seen that before.

J_Speegle:
What you found is consistent with what I've found on 71. This helped hide the bottom rear edge of the hood, windshield washers and the bottom of the polished metal trim there. Also check to see if the rear (approx)  six inches of the fender lip is blacked out also.

From the 71 Cougar I'm currently trying to finish

1970shelbyguy:
thanks for the reply jeff-   have you seen the argent strip on leading edge of hood peak  before?.   probably blk if hood ram air treatment was blk.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 1970shelbyguy on April 30, 2012, 10:43:09 PM ---thanks for the reply jeff-   have you seen the argent strip on leading edge of hood peak  before?.   probably blk if hood ram air treatment was blk.

--- End quote ---

Would expect that since the idea was to make the area under the hood surface at the rear disappear to the eye those too would have the black out rather than use the argent but don't have a picture. Just a belief

nham3407:
It was my understanding that the blackout on the rear edge of the hood above the cowl area was only applied to cars with lighter colored exterior colors.  When stripping the interior of my 4F Medium Lime Metallic non-functional ram air hood I did not notice any black on the rear edge.  I was not planning on painting the blackout onto my hood.  Does anyone know the colors the black would have been appklied too?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version