1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 - 70 Shelby

69 Grill area black out question again!

<< < (2/4) > >>

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: specialed on August 24, 2012, 01:56:35 PM ---............. Also in your first photo there is no blackout around the park lamp area?

--- End quote ---

That detail might have gotten lost with the earlier repair

Armond:
Here is a rehash on the old topic of the lower valance black out.  Here is a picture of the passengers side.  This area never had any repairs. Notice there is no black out on the lower panel. I did not take as many pictures as I should have here. One interesting note is the two small front fender marker lights were installed and masked off before the nose was painted. There was the bare gray primer under them.  No I did not take a picture.  Notice there is no black out on the bonding strip nor inside the fender as might be expected except the GA paint. Also you can see that the bonded splash shield brace has a tint of teal and I would have expected this to have some black on it also if originally blacked out.

The small side lamps had no black sprayed on the side of them, on the inside and that would have been the case because the lamps were  in place at the time it was supposed to be blacked out.  As it is, there was none found except on the top side I showed in the other picture and was done probably by the shop who did the repair or the prior owner and he does not remember doing it.  The drivers side did show some over spray on the turn signal light and fog lamp. Poorly masked. The only repair done was the left front fender at one time.  So after talking with Ed and based on my few pics and my excellent memory. I conclude this car did not get blacked out down under as it should have.  Also the front gravel shield was not black on the underside but gray.  This had never been taken of the car.  I think Bob had mentioned it should be black in a prior post. 

J_Speegle:
Don't know how to explain why this car didn't get the area behind the trun indicators as shown in the pictures showing the workers painting the front ends at the factory. IMHO I would want more than a single car with multiple prior owners before I was choosing to change from the norm (no black out at turn indicators and suggesting they were installed prior to body color)

As for the black out on the lower grill panel I believe you might have confused a description of the front lower valances back side being blacked out. The upper panel I've seen with simply overspray from the paint application above

Have pictures of the back side of that same panel but away from the hard drive at the moment

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on August 30, 2012, 10:31:54 PM ---Don't know how to explain why this car didn't get the area behind the trun indicators as shown in the pictures showing the workers painting the front ends at the factory. IMHO I would want more than a single car with multiple prior owners before I was choosing to change from the norm (no black out at turn indicators and suggesting they were installed prior to body color)

As for the black out on the lower grill panel I believe you might have confused a description of the front lower valances back side being blacked out. The upper panel I've seen with simply overspray from the paint application above

Have pictures of the back side of that same panel but away from the hard drive at the moment

--- End quote ---
I couldn't put it any better. Only reasonable explanation you misunderstood what I had said. I can't think of a good reason to black out under the upper panel.

Bob Gaines:
Armond, you have a tough choice , choose to restore it the way it was meant to be or restore it the way you found it and replicate a mistake that doesn't make the car better but less then so you have to explain it every single time . Unfortunately sometimes without someone to explain the anomaly there will be people looking at the work that will think the most likely explanation (which wouldn't be correct in this case) that the restorer didn't do the job correctly. I tough choice to be sure . The best of luck with what ever you decide.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version