Author Topic: Wires in the burlap seat underlayment?  (Read 6413 times)

Offline Paperback Writer

Wires in the burlap seat underlayment?
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »
I'm in the process of re-upholstering the front seats on my '67 Convertible, and noticed that there are 17 really thin wires (each about a foot long and spaced about an inch apart) woven into the burlap that goes between the bottom seat frame and the seat foam.  There are similar wires woven into the burlap on the seat backs as well...

What do you guys usually use when replacing these wires?
I was simply going to try reusing these, but mine are so rusted that they keep breaking as I try to remove them...
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Wires in the burlap seat underlayment?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »
I usually lay down a new piece of burlap and then glue down any remaining sections of the original with the wires on top.  Foam goes over the top of that.  Try to salvage the wires if you can, they help give the seat cushion more rigidity.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »
I'm in the process of re-upholstering the front seats on my '67 Convertible, and noticed that there are 17 really thin wires (each about a foot long and spaced about an inch apart) woven into the burlap that goes between the bottom seat frame and the seat foam.  There are similar wires woven into the burlap on the seat backs as well...

What do you guys usually use when replacing these wires?
I was simply going to try reusing these, but mine are so rusted that they keep breaking as I try to remove them...
The wires are made from 0.035in dia hard drawn steel cut to about 13 1/2 inch long for the seat base, the backs are 17 1/4 inches long. It is sometimes identified as piano wire. I got mine at a local arts and crafts store. Be careful as they also stock soft drawn, but soft drawn will work. You might check with Granger http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml .
Weaving the wires is a major task. There are several types of end terminations to retain the wires. I "terminated" the first wire end into a 270 degree loop about 1/8 inch dia, wove it and taped the loop end into place. I made the same loop at the other end after weaving. When I was done, I crimped a 1 inch wide strip of white cloth 20 inches long wadded up on the width into each wire end. I've also used a rolled up strip of burlap about the same dimensions. The finished wire, loop to loop, should be about 12 inches long, 16 inches for the backs. The ends are on the inside of the seat, as in up. Use a line drawn with white chalk to indicate where to weave the wires up and down, 6 downs and 6 ups, for about 12 inches, about 7/8 inches apart. This style burlap was used on a March 66 standard interior built in San Jose. The seat subassembly had a Los Angeles address.
Another type of termination uses a 14 inch long wire looped into a 1/2 dia loop 270 degrees for a finished length of 12 inches. Then a 1 inch flap of burlap is folded over the ends, then back with everything held in place by large 1/4 inch apart stiches with heavy white thread. This was on the seat base. I don't know the years or plant on this style.
I used 4 hours labor each seat section (8 hrs per seat) when I quoted this step so figure that into your task.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »
Thanks for the information guys!

I just picked-up some 0.035" stainless steel music wire from Grainger, so I'll try my hand at weaving it into the new burlap this weekend...
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline Oz390

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
I know its not "correct", but as wrapping the ends as with the originals is tedious and in my experince not to sucessful (snapped many a wire trying) and as for overlaying a good idea if you want to kep them, but I've seen many corroded far beyond providing much help any more.

An alternative is a thin piece of carpet underlayment (I use some about 3/8" think) between the burlap and foam, as the purpose of the wires is to keep the springs from cutting into the foam.  The underlayment provides the same function, if not correct, but will never be seen...  a simialr trade-off as painting "natural" items as is often done when longevity is balanced against "factory"....
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 12:03:29 AM »
I know its not "correct", but as wrapping the ends as with the originals is tedious and in my experince not to sucessful (snapped many a wire trying) and as for overlaying a good idea if you want to kep them, but I've seen many corroded far beyond providing much help any more.
It works well with new wire. The trick is to get new everything. It's tedious but restoring properly a seat is part of the hobby.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline JohnSlack

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 03:25:26 PM »
It works well with new wire. The trick is to get new everything. It's tedious but restoring properly a seat is part of the hobby.
Jim

Agreed! Adding the wires to my standard interior 1969 seats was a tenacious job and took about 6 hours per section. However well worth it.
John

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 04:54:18 PM »
For some reason they make it for GM cars.
Perhaps you can use this:
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/a8100256.html
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 05:26:41 PM »
For some reason they make it for GM cars.
Perhaps you can use this:
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/a8100256.html

Pretty hefty price for what you get but guess it's a time saver and what the market will bear

$142 marked down to $129 currently

Not sure if that's for a single or not
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 06:44:58 PM »
That's for the set or pair.

If you want the fronts and back seat too:
https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/search/?q=burlap%20with%20wire#mz-expanded-view-230041392255

Considering how similar the cars are in size, these might fit with only small adjustments.

My mom used to have this interesting old country phrase that one could loosely translate as "chicken s*** work". Poking wire through burlap is a perfect reflection of this phrase.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion