Author Topic: Red Dyed Hardware  (Read 21425 times)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

Re: Red Dyed Hardware
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »
The red finish on seat track hardware and rear axle U Bolt nuts etc. is applied to zinc same as dichromate(Gold), just different color. Green was used on some 71 Control arm nuts etc. Not similar to the red (Dykem type product) used on phoshated hardware. Hard to get platers to do the red and green as Dichromate has become industry preference and is most durable to salt spray according to Mike Wagner At Electroplating. They do Mercury Marine Cad & Zinc.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 01:21:42 PM »
That does explain a lot. I have some of the seat track bolts that are just gold with a very slight reddish tint probably the dye worn off. The dye must have a transparency to the coloring which explains the different coloring on the differently plated parts. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I love this site!! Andrew
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline app01

• Make Your Car Stand Out with A Custom Showboard from
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »
May 15, 1970,  Dearborn B2

Earlier on it was mentioned that the strut rod Strut rod OUTER nuts were red,  however, looking at articles and some archives, I have found conflicting information, some showing them natural, others even showing the inside nut red.

Can someone please confirm the finish on these 2 nuts?

Thanks again
Currently own:
1970 Boss 302 - Yellow- May 1970, Dearborn
1970 Mach 1 -Sept 1969, Metuchen
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1967 Mustang Convertible (My 1st car)
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT
1969 Mach 1 (<29k miles, Unrestored, MCA Gold)-sold in 2012

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 03:02:09 PM »
 Typical production would be Zinc plate plus red chromate on front nut and zinc phosphate with red (Dykem)on rear nut. 

Offline app01

• Make Your Car Stand Out with A Custom Showboard from
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »
Thanks again.
Currently own:
1970 Boss 302 - Yellow- May 1970, Dearborn
1970 Mach 1 -Sept 1969, Metuchen
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1967 Mustang Convertible (My 1st car)
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT
1969 Mach 1 (<29k miles, Unrestored, MCA Gold)-sold in 2012

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com

Offline Cobrajet428

• Photos of my '70 Mach 1 428Cj 4-spd
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 03:43:28 PM »
I know I'm resurrecting an older thread, but this relates:

Dykem TRANSPARENT Staining Color #81496 has been mentioned here as a good red dye to use. Seems its no longer made. Dykem's website doesn't show it available and the online suppliers showing it do not in fact have it in stock.

I've been able to find Dykem staining color #81491, which is red, but is OPAQUE.

QUESTIONS:
  • Has anyone here used this 81491? Does it look OK?
  • Has anyone used an alternative they are happy with?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 07:41:30 PM »
I know I'm resurrecting an older thread, but this relates:

Dykem TRANSPARENT Staining Color #81496 has been mentioned here as a good red dye to use. Seems its no longer made. Dykem's website doesn't show it available and the online suppliers showing it do not in fact have it in stock.

I've been able to find Dykem staining color #81491, which is red, but is OPAQUE.

So it's somewhat a milky clear rather than a just a clear dye? Would be interested in the difference if any from the older stuff. Maybe there is another brand or maker we can find

The bottle I have had for a fairly long time is labeled Transparent - guessing that is where the change is

Don't have the bottle here so cant check the inventory number but apparently its the old stuff.   One of the pet peeves and only thing that seems consistent in the hobby is that once you find something that works  buy a good supply since the next time you go to buy it it will be changed, reformulated or no longer legal in you state or region :(

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 07:52:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Cobrajet428

• Photos of my '70 Mach 1 428Cj 4-spd
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »
Yeah, more and more nowadays with all the corporate consolidation and globalized sourcing. In some ways we have more options than ever, but others we have less and less.

I'd really hoped that since coloring these safety nuts and bolts is fairly common restoration practice now, that others have found something else that works good. I'd used translucent red paint in the past, but it tends to flake off easily when the hardware is installed, esp. when used on smooth zinc plating. Have also used a red permanent marker, which doesn't flake but doesn't color the zinc well either. Zinc phosphate colors easily, clear zinc or dichromate - not really. Using opaque red dye like the only available Dykem #81491 just seems like it wouldn't look right.

Thought this would be a slam-dunk once I saw your photo of the transparent Dykem #81496. :(

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 08:18:14 AM »
Just to be clear the red marking wasnt always dye. A general rule is dye on the zinc plated parts and red paint on the phosphate parts
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 09:36:57 AM »
Dykem dyes can be bought on eBay.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
  The color (Red etc.) on Zinc or Cadmium plated parts is Chromate not dye. Dykem's opaque red is very similar to Ford's S100 finish on phosphate items.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 02:16:58 AM »
  The color (Red etc.) on Zinc or Cadmium plated parts is Chromate not dye. .....

Bob what is the difference between a dye and the chromate  process? When I purchase Dichromate  it sure looks like a dye and appears to be applied in pretty much the same fashion.

Just asking :)
Jeff Speegle

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »
Jeff,
 Chromates are sealers that when applied to inorganic plating like Zinc together creates a good corrosion resistant finish. Dye like Dykem staining dye are not chromates. Better industrial chromates contain lead and are not for sale without proper EPA etc. certification. The Dykem dye is more identification than protection. S100 finish on Zinc Phosphate is not always red, however the opaque red Dykem  duplicates the factory look in my opinion very well.

Online jwc66k

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »
Dykem's opaque red is very similar to Ford's S100 finish on phosphate items.
To clear up a possible misconception, -S100 is a special finish documented on the drawing for that part. It is not exclusively a red dye as many 64-66 hardware item use -S100 prior to the red being used. All told, there are over 500 hardware items in my 64-73 Mustang hardware data base with -S100 finishes, plus an additional 100 that use -S101, -S102, -S103 and -S104. Without the appropriate drawings, there's no way to tell except from personal experience.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 05:45:37 PM »
Jeff,
 Chromates are sealers that when applied to inorganic plating like Zinc together creates a good corrosion resistant finish. Dye like Dykem staining dye are not chromates. Better industrial chromates contain lead and are not for sale without proper EPA etc. certification. The Dykem dye is more identification than protection. S100 finish on Zinc Phosphate is not always red, however the opaque red Dykem  duplicates the factory look in my opinion very well.

Thanks for the simple explanation - can get real technical real quick. Guess the focus for us is getting the right look  when its done ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromate_and_dichromate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromate_conversion_coating

Looks like even the makers of the products sometimes even used the terms interchangeably

http://www.chemical-supermarket.com/Red-Chromate-Dye-p481.html
Jeff Speegle