Author Topic: 68 strut rod bushings and washers  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Murf

68 strut rod bushings and washers
« on: January 01, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
Used the search feature but no luck.  Anyone found strut bushings identical to the original parts?  The MOOG replacements I have seem quite different than I remember although they are exactly like I removed from the assembly, so I feel they have been replaced.  Any advice or experiences you care to share will be appreciated and certainly images of the originals will be a big help in locating parts with the proper appearance.  The vehicle in question is a "J" code coupe, assembeled at the San Jose plant with a scheduled build date of 02/04/68.  Thank you!
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 strut rod bushings and washers
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:44:27 PM »
The originals would be C8/C8 bushings with phosphated washers. The easiest way to get close is the D0ZZ kit
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:35:31 AM »
Online Virginia Classic Mustang shows Scott Drake "exact duplicate" of 68 strut rod bushings along with washers.  Could not figure this out in the printed catalog.  Has anyone used this part and if so was it satisfactory?  PN is ?1011 I think? comments appreciated both pro and con.  I think many of us question the durability of reproduction suspension parts - sometimes for good reason and sometimes unfounded. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 01:33:41 AM »
Tim are the ones for Johns car the same as used on 68 GT500 and 69 CJ's  or another version of the C8OA bushings. Sorry can't remember.

IF they are then D Davis is reproducing or at least carries them them.

John I've purchased the strut rod kits though the catalog places and have been disappointed with them. Can't say the ones i got are the same as now but just my experience
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »
Tim are the ones for Johns car the same as used on 68 GT500 and 69 CJ's  or another version of the C8OA bushings. Sorry can't remember.

IF they are then D Davis is reproducing or at least carries them them.

John I've purchased the strut rod kits though the catalog places and have been disappointed with them. Can't say the ones i got are the same as now but just my experience
Yes exactly the same. I cant speak for the VA Mustang ones as I havent seen them. The ones Dave Davis sells are not only correct looking but excellent. I got a set to compare to the ones I have for the D1 car and they are about as exact as exact can be.(He's also working on the C6 version) If you get those you still need to find washers and the inner sleeves
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Murf

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
Guess that I need to give some idea of circumstances.  Had a set of Moog bushings and washers on the car.  Worked well but obviously looked unlike the Ford parts.  Found a set of Moog "improved" strut rod bushings and washers which I am sure would give excellent service, but they look even less like the Ford parts then the unimproved? version of the Moog parts.  No one could think the Moogs were close to the original design so hence the search for something that is first functional and durable and yet appears to be like the originals.  Look in Va Mustang online catalog under part number S1011 (this part is not listed in the catalog I currrently have) and if these are an exact replica then half of the needs are met.  The question becomes how durable they are?  Has anyone reading this used this product.  I drive our old cars all over the country and function is more important then form, but still like to use the right stuff if possible.  The DOZZ parts are not available as far as I can find out, but I hope they are and just couldn't locate any.  The Drake kits seem to be the second choice but I tend to thinkof the typical reproduction part as sometimes not too functional or durable or just having some feature that makes me wish they had never been unwrapped.  I hope that someone has experience with this and gives their blessing to the Drake bushings.  The washers shown in the online catalog image look to be the same as the images provided by Dudley of his unrestored 68.  And finally, is there s source for the DOZZ kit ?  Ford service parts have always been great.
John Murphy

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:30:17 PM »
Yes exactly the same. I cant speak for the VA Mustang ones as I havent seen them. The ones Dave Davis sells are not only correct looking but excellent. I got a set to compare to the ones I have for the D1 car and they are about as exact as exact can be.(He's also working on the C6 version) If you get those you still need to find washers and the inner sleeves

Thanks - need to cut the ones (well inner tubes) off the Boss since its apart and replace them
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline craig429

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 09:58:39 PM »
Here is a link to the ones Dave Davis sells. They are toward the bottom of the page

http://www.dsdrestorationsllc.com/store/index.html
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen