Author Topic: Best hood hinges for 66 mustang?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline jamz66

Best hood hinges for 66 mustang?
« on: November 06, 2013, 12:04:14 AM »
Who makes the best repro hood hinges for a 66?  I've seen regular and heavier duty versions from NPD, Scott Drake, CJ Pony, etc.  Are any of them any good or should I look for good used?

Offline Ivygreen65

Re: Best hood hinges for 66 mustang?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:36:49 AM »
I would suggest finding a decent set of used originals.  It's not very difficult to clean them up and properly finish them with phosphate & oil.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »
+1 to that.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:22:59 AM »
There's at least one place that can rebuild hinges with new rivets too.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 08:47:45 PM »
Wouldn't think of using repos on a concours car - just me ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »
I have never used reproduction hinges and wouldn't consider it as this is too critical of a part in the fit and operation of the hood. I can't say much better about N.O.S one either as I installed a set on my 69 and the new hinges had slop in the rivets at the pivot points that caused the hood to stick up in the back. I contacted SMS Auto Restoration services (800) 989-6660 and spoke with the owner of the company and he said that he would prefer my original hinges to restore than the newer N.O.S ones as the steel was better. I shipped them off to him and it was about a 2 week turn around. The hinges came back perfect with new correct type rivets and no slop. I paid additional for the phosphate plating and they looked like new. I installed them on my car and the hood fits perfect. I am very skeptical of sending parts for refurbishment out of town due to past bad experiences but I was very satisfied with this company. The total bill was $305.00 for everything including shipping and was money well spent in my opinion. The company is located in Derry, NH.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 11:06:19 AM »
Highly concur with the recommendations to restore a set of originals. They're plentiful if there is a major problem with your originals. It's actually VERY easy to to do. My set was severely pitted from rust. I found a good set with tight rivets (I think I paid around $15 IIRC!). I separated the springs from them, bead blasted everything then phosphated and reassembled. I am very pleased with the results. The single "hardest" thing was getting a container large enough to hold them for phosphating!

'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 12:45:49 PM »
The single "hardest" thing was getting a container large enough to hold them for phosphating!
I got my pan at a local restaurant supply store, but have seen similar on Amazon and e-bay. What you need is a stainless steel pan 11 1/2 x 12 3/4 x 3 7/8 inches in size. I think it's called a half size serving pan. It MUST be stainless steel (SST).The pan needs to be filled to 3 3/4 inches deep to cover the "high" spots, or you can use a SST rod (or a SST strainer) to splash the tall parts. I got an 19 inch long stainless steel fish poaching pan on e-bay to phosphate long items, like the center link and the strut rods.
This is a technique that takes some experience to get a good finish.
Some things to consider:
- Air blow the items prior to phosphating to remove excess blasting media.
- Don't touch the items with bare hands.
- Water temperature must be over 180F at all times.
- The amount of phosphoric acid you add depends on what shade of finish you desire. Springs are normally darker than hinges, latches.
- Time is another factor, two minutes for a light shade, ten minutes maximum.
- I prefer to air dry in the sun as oven drying tends to leave a rusty looking finish. Using compressed air works sometimes.
- Oil as soon as the item is dry. I use both 20 weight motor oil and WD-40.
- I use a metal blackening solution on hardware (bolts mostly) prior to phosphating to get a dark finish. It used to be available from Eastwood.
- When cool, I pour the acid mix into a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket and add a cup or two of borax (laundry soap) to neutralize it. When the liquid has evaporated it can be disposed of.
The picture of the two hinges is after, done in 2007.
The second is the left hand hinge on my 66 "K" Fastback, also done in 2007. Periodic spraying with WD-40 keeps rust from forming,
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.