Author Topic: correct Pony emblem for 1968  (Read 1230 times)

Offline tmahle

correct Pony emblem for 1968
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:16:09 AM »
I been searching for NOS pony emblems and comparing it to my originals.  Why is the colors incorrect on these so called NOS emblems on E-bay?  Instead of Red, white and blue it is opposite.  They claim it has the correct code on the back but mine has it twice.  In the middle and towards the top, there's only has identification code in the middle.  Is this some sort of China cheap version being sold as originals since the color on the front is not correct?  How can one know for sure if it is authentic or a nice copy?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NOS-Genuine-1967-1968-Ford-Mustang-289-Fender-Emblem-Part-C7ZZ-16228-C-/122779079407

Mine is C8ZB-16C229-D  RH and C8ZB-16C228-D LH

Offline ruppstang

Re: correct Pony emblem for 1968
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:29:30 AM »
I would vote for a reproduction.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 09:11:13 AM »
I would vote for a reproduction.

+1 on the thought.
5F09C331248

Offline OldMil

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »
After doing some internet research, I am also confused.  We will need someone to chime in that owns an original car and knows for a fact that the emblems are original.  We know that the horses are a mirror of each other (running in opposite directions) since they both face forward on both sides of the car.  They are cast as one piece.  On some examples, I see the red stripe by the horses head, and the blue stripe by the horses head on the opposite side.  It's as if the badge is the same, but the horses are different depending on the side of the car.  The Scott Drake reproductions show the colors in different order depending on the left or right.   Anxious to here from original owners...

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 04:33:01 PM »
OK, so here is my .02 cents. That is not a reproduction in the auction. It is a later service part. One of the last ones before Ford obsoleted the part. I have seen this before many times where the production had the reversed colors. Here is another weird thing about these emblems, The first service parts for the 289 emblem carry a C7ZZ-16229-C for the LH and C7ZZ-16228-C for the RH and had the small pins for the clip inserted in the fender as is correct for 1967. When the 68 model year arrived, the service parts were updated to the 68 style larger pins and the pin on the tail in a different location that installed with nuts on the back side of the fender but still retained the C7ZZ part number on the service part boxes. I have a NOS pair of the 68 style with large pins (engineering part number cast in C8ZB-16C229-D and C8ZB-16C228-D respectively) in a C7ZZ box with the correct color order and the colors are the correct translucent (candy style) unlike the late solid type colors. I would assume these are from mid service part production. So to try to clarify on NOS service parts, early service part has small pins for 1967 with C7ZB cast in number, Mid production service parts with large pins for nuts with correct colors and color order with C8ZB cast in number, Last production large pins again but wrong color order and solid colors instead of translucent with C8ZB cast in number. I hope I have not confused this more but it is my best guess and I am sticking to it! And these are not the only service parts with this kind of history.   Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »
OK, so here is my .02 cents. That is not a reproduction in the auction. It is a later service part. One of the last ones before Ford obsoleted the part. I have seen this before many times where the production had the reversed colors. Here is another weird thing about these emblems, The first service parts for the 289 emblem carry a C7ZZ-16229-C for the LH and C7ZZ-16228-C for the RH and had the small pins for the clip inserted in the fender as is correct for 1967. When the 68 model year arrived, the service parts were updated to the 68 style larger pins and the pin on the tail in a different location that installed with nuts on the back side of the fender but still retained the C7ZZ part number on the service part boxes. I have a NOS pair of the 68 style with large pins (engineering part number cast in C8ZB-16C229-D and C8ZB-16C228-D respectively) in a C7ZZ box with the correct color order and the colors are the correct translucent (candy style) unlike the late solid type colors. I would assume these are from mid service part production. So to try to clarify on NOS service parts, early service part has small pins for 1967 with C7ZB cast in number, Mid production service parts with large pins for nuts with correct colors and color order with C8ZB cast in number, Last production large pins again but wrong color order and solid colors instead of translucent with C8ZB cast in number. I hope I have not confused this more but it is my best guess and I am sticking to it! And these are not the only service parts with this kind of history.   Paul

+1, the eBay parts are later NOS and the colors are not in the correct order.

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline tmahle

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »
Thanks for the information stangerdude.  Can you send a pic of the translucent C7ZZ style?  My car is May or early car 1968 and I did see one for sale that was I believe translucent but I strayed away because down by the hoofs of the horse the paint was missing like it got missed when sprayed on.  I do not know what it should look like since my originals are quite faded even to the point the white is completely gone.
It is extremely hard to purchase when there is so many variance and some of my parts are missing completely and it appears now that one can't trust even the numbers when dealing with service parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-1967-1968-Mustang-289-Fender-Horse-Pony-Emblem-Ornament-RH/123051334619?epid=1622303461&hash=item1ca66e5bdb:g:ZGkAAOSwWG5asYZc

This is the example I like to buy but fear the paint missing by feet is an issue.  Also is this the translucent like paint?

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 04:03:46 PM »
That is the correct one. The paint is translucent as original just like the ones I have. The paint by the foot is acceptable as they were painted with a template set over it and the paint did not get to all nooks and crannies. I have seen a lot worse. I even remember getting some emblems from Ford that were missing the red on 5 out of 10 I ordered! The price on that one in the link is priced about right and the shipping price is even better! Remember too that these were mass produced cars that were not perfect at all. A lot of my customers expect Rolls Royce quality and that was just not the case. I would go for it if you need it.   Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »
As others have stated the paints - especially the blue and red are noticeably translucent. Similar to what you often saw with candy colors of the period. The one in the ad appears to have a sloppier paint job than many and likely the reason its still in the box.  Many of us purchased NOS parts in years past but they often got picked through for the better looking parts leaving the others for someone else down the line. This may be the case here.  Does not make the part less original and its likely better to have one with paint like this than one with defects in the plating or elsewhere. You can, if you choose, to correct or redo if you purchase it or a similar one.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)