Author Topic: Paint daubs 1970 B2 Metuchen car Nov 69 build  (Read 4942 times)

Offline mwizz

Paint daubs 1970 B2 Metuchen car Nov 69 build
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:10:09 AM »
Hi all,

I am looking for information to make sure that my paint daubs are correct on my Metuchen B2. It is a Nov 69 build and is nearing completion.

DSO 8937
Buffalo Ordering District
3.50 conventional rear axle

The car already has some paint daubs on it painted by the previous owner that sold the car mid restoration. I would appreciate if someone could give me some advice as to whether these are correct from the pics below. I have searched over this forum and Boss 302 forum and have not been able to find the info I need about my Metuchen car so far. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I am trying to confirm what markings/color should be on the following for my car:

shock top bracket color
hood hinge color
striping color down the springs
driveshaft color markings
rear leaf colors

Here are the pics of the undercarriage with the markings on it so far:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:36:09 AM by mwizz »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Paint daubs 1970 B2 Metuchen car Nov 69 build
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find the information your need.

If you use the search feature you may find additional information

- Shock top bracket color - Phosphate and oil

- Hood hinge color - Phosphate and oil

- Striping color down the springs - Gold, Gold, Violet

- Driveshaft color markings - Blue, Blue, Lavender
An earlier discussion on the subject http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6087.0

- Rear leaf colors - Correct for a 70 Boss

Additonal typical markings - front sway bar, shocks (looks like you have the rear shocks done), third member, transmission and rear sway bar. Don't go crazy on the marks, for judging in most classes they are not needed (no deductions for ones not there only ones that are there that are incorrect ;)  Covering all of these in a thread is difficult but here are the easy ones

- Front shocks - white daub

- Front sway bar marks towards the center of the bar- green (drivers side)  yellow (passenger side)

Comments about details in the pictures just my opinion ;)

- Have an idea where the X on the passenger frame came from and I don't believe it was from your plant (paint mark migration - PMM)

- Have not see a big X on the rearend of the housing - believe that was borrowed from an earlier car ( PMM - again)

- I would not apply the axle code to the rear housing "9xx"

Some additional help - appears that the earlier owner continued to mix details from other plants and years as well as some standards/expectations that are a bit dated.

- Master cylinder and cap should be painted semi-gloss black as a unit (with booster)

- Front wheelwells are finished like a Dearborn car rather than a NJ one. Typically blacked out (inner fender panels) in the wheelwells (no body color or primer visible except in shadows possible some primer) like San Jose

- Don't forget the undercarriage sealant around the inner seat belt mounts and rocker panel to floor seam

- Lastly - for the moment ;) remove the insulator pads between the spring saddles and the springs. Originals never had those -as well as no holes to retain them nor painted

Hope this helps. Now back to my projects :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:04:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
Welcome mwizz, there are a few aussies floating around here. Is your car now in aus, or is matt still working on it?
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline mwizz

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:23:33 PM »
Jeff, thanks so much for your comments, they are much appreciated
Mark

Offline mwizz

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:24:42 PM »
Welcome mwizz, there are a few aussies floating around here. Is your car now in aus, or is matt still working on it?

Hi Tim, it is still being completed by Matt hence my research on the paint daubs to help him get them right for me.
Mark