Author Topic: paint under the car  (Read 3620 times)

Offline myblue67

paint under the car
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:39:06 AM »
Should the underside of my car be painted black?  I thought they were painted that sort of orange color when they were made in California.  But since it was sent to Colorado did they paint it different?
1967 midnight blue coupe, inline 6 200, Sport Sprint, 3 speed standard, manual brake/steering, San Jose, June 7.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: paint under the car
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:31:13 AM »
There were varying colors/shades of primer used on the bottom of the cars, in addition to possibly multiple different colors of primer used throughout the car.  The final destination has nothing to do with the primer color, that would simply be determined by what was being used at the time and assembly plant a car was produced.  If you provide your build date (assuming you have a marti report) and assembly plant, I'm sure we can help narrow in on what was being used at that time.

Also, consider these cars are over 40 years old and it wouldn't be uncommon for a previous owner or shop to paint the bottom-side... either stripping down to bare metal and re-paint, sheet metal replacement and repaint or just painting over original.  Cleaning an area up inside the transmission tunnel would probably help determine what you have.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline myblue67

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »
There were varying colors/shades of primer used on the bottom of the cars, in addition to possibly multiple different colors of primer used throughout the car.  The final destination has nothing to do with the primer color, that would simply be determined by what was being used at the time and assembly plant a car was produced.  If you provide your build date (assuming you have a marti report) and assembly plant, I'm sure we can help narrow in on what was being used at that time.

Also, consider these cars are over 40 years old and it wouldn't be uncommon for a previous owner or shop to paint the bottom-side... either stripping down to bare metal and re-paint, sheet metal replacement and repaint or just painting over original.  Cleaning an area up inside the transmission tunnel would probably help determine what you have.

The underside of my car is black, but when it chips it is orange underneath.  Build date of June 7 in San Jose.
1967 midnight blue coupe, inline 6 200, Sport Sprint, 3 speed standard, manual brake/steering, San Jose, June 7.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »
As Charles mentioned, the actual color varied, but for 67 it would be best described as red-oxide in color.  The black is incorrect.  As discussed in other posts, by the 69 or 70 time frame, depending on the assembly plant, Ford was dumping leftover paints in the mix, making it a "batch" paint what was much darker in color.  Ford was/is a frugal company (I suppose you could say they were "green", not to avoid dumping unused paint, but to make more "green" in terms of money).  I don't know if this was prevalent in 67, but there was some variance in the red oxide color.  The best method, if you want to go concours (and what we would assume given that you are posting on a web site that carries this moniker), you should chip off the black paint and get to the original color.  Above the rear axle by the snubber works (unless there is a lot of rust), but the best place is above the transmission.  Mix some black in with the red oxide until you match the color.  You won't find a perfect or near-perfect match out of a can or spray can.

Once you have the match and go to apply the material, do some searches here for other posts that discusses that process.   We can anticipate your next series of questions regarding sound deadener material, pinch weld blackout, etc.   There are several posts (and pictures) that go over those details, keeping in mind differences from year to year, plant to plant, and during the course of a production year to make it that much more interesting.  And don't forget the "drips" if you want the car to look "right".
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »
The underside of my car is black, but when it chips it is orange underneath.  Build date of June 7 in San Jose.

The "orange\" is likely the typical red oxide epoxy primer sealer. Depending on the condition of they floor pan and original color you may be able to strip off the black, clean and feather any scraps and damage, rough up the original red oxide and spray a new coat over the top. This method retains the original drips and drops on the lower hanging details.

But if there is rust repair needed or the condition is not that good its best to strip down to metal and work from there.

Here are three original examples from June 67 San Jose for comparison (Tint and  color can vary based on camera/monitor setting, lighting and other factors)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline myblue67

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 04:13:21 PM »
The "orange\" is likely the typical red oxide epoxy primer sealer. Depending on the condition of they floor pan and original color you may be able to strip off the black, clean and feather any scraps and damage, rough up the original red oxide and spray a new coat over the top. This method retains the original drips and drops on the lower hanging details.

But if there is rust repair needed or the condition is not that good its best to strip down to metal and work from there.

Here are three original examples from June 67 San Jose for comparison (Tint and  color can vary based on camera/monitor setting, lighting and other factors)

Thats exactly what it looks like under the black.  I even pulled one of the plugs off and it is that same color up there.  I thought those little bumps were part of the metal.  How should i remove the black paint??

Thanks
SG

Offline myblue67

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 03:38:53 PM »
And what should the driveshaft for my car be painted?

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »
5F09C331248