Author Topic: introduction and picture post test  (Read 1493 times)

Offline e093116

introduction and picture post test
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:36:40 PM »
Thought I would take a moment to introduce myself and project.  My name is Bill and I live in the Phoenix, AZ area.

This 65 fastback came my way in mid 2007.  It sat while I remodeled my house in 2008, so I didn't start working on it until 2009.  I bought this car because I wanted to teach myself welding, body work, and painting.  It had been rolled necessitating the replacement of the left rear quarter panel and there were a few other pieces that were damaged or rusted which also got replaced along the way.

900 hours later, I painted the car in my garage over the Christmas holiday.  My goal for 2010 is to put the car back together in time for the fall show season.  I'm not performing a concours restoration by any means, but will detail all of the aftermarket parts I'm planning to use per concours guidelines/finishes/colors/etc, such that visually the car appears stock but upon closer inspection it will be obvious to the trained eye that the car is moderately modified.

I appreciate the help I have received so far and hope to be able to share what I have learned as well as receive additional guidance going forward.

Here are some pictures, I hope they can be seen...

65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: introduction and picture post test
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:28:45 PM »
Wow - did you weld two ladders  to the bottom of that car ????

Sorry, just a little concours humor ;)

Welcome - looks like allot of work.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 10w30dna

• Tim O'Connor Distributor Restoration
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 10:59:40 PM »
Bill, You have already proved to have what it takes to save a Mustang from a certain fate.Be proud of your work and be willing to take a few "shots" from the concours guys. It's just our nature. Keep up the good work. More pictures to show progress,please.
44 years as Ford dealer technician,retired.Favorite toys:'67 Fairlane drag race car. 10.40 @ 129 mph 1.40 60 ft. Current resto project: '68 Shelby GT 350 conv w/Paxton Supercharger .

Offline e093116

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:26:16 AM »
I put quite a bit of thought into whether or not to do so, but those two ladders are my insurance policy against the paint cracking in the factory lead joint locations.  After the time I spent refinishing those areas and the fact that my other unibody cars without subframe connectors (70 mach, 71 fsbk, 82 GT) all exhibit this problem to varying degrees, I wanted to protect my work/make the paint job last as long as possible.  I do understand the humor though.

I'm planning to drive this car and am using it as a platform to learn/practice techniques/become familiar with various processes and materials in order to facilitate the skills necessary to concours restore a Boss/Shelby/K code/R code project that I hope will come my way some day in the future.
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date