Author Topic: Rear Seat Upholstery  (Read 4052 times)

Offline koski19

Rear Seat Upholstery
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »
Today as I await the return of the Mustang from the media blaster I decided to tackle the rear seat upholstery. This seat was reupholstered back in 1989 according to the tag I found. Colamco, which has long gone out of business (I assume) because I can't find them anywhere on the internet.

I purchased the rear padding and burlap from NPD and it arrived yesterday. The new standard interior upholstery kit came with the Mustang when I bought it.  I took the seat back apart and found that the burlap has many back support wires running lengthwise through it. The burlap has had it and so have the wires mostly rusted. Maybe they can be cleaned and preserved. Take a look at the photos attached.

1. Can this burlap piece be purchased with the wires already installed?

2. If not, where can the new wires be sourced from?

3. Has anyone reupholstered their back seat and care to share some tips/tricks?

Thanks
Jeff

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Rear Seat Upholstery
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:36:44 PM »
You can lay down the new burlap and then glue the old wire mesh to the top.  I've done this before on front seats with nice results.  Think there was some discussion here previously on the subject.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:00:23 PM »
Most upholstery shops will tell you that you can't do this at home. So here's how to do it. The info is from an Oct 65 build 66 San Jose Hardtop, with the seats made in the Los Angles area. The same basic procedure applies to 67.
I haven't found a source for the spring strung burlap so I made my own. The burlap is no problem, the wire is a hard drawn steel wire 0.035 in dia and music wire is a good substitute. My current source is Granger -
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PRECISION-BRAND-Music-Wire-3L569
I've seen a couple of different ways to terminate the wire ends: a wad of 2 inch wide, real cheap white cloth strip with the wire hooked in a 270 degree loop; the same as above but with a burlap strip; the wire ends bent back about an inch and then with a 1/4 inch dip to lock.
Mark the new burlap with white chalk every inch lengthwise and across. There are about 17 wires on the bottom so make 17 lines across. The back has 15. Use the number of wires from your seat. Make a loop in the wire at one end and feed the wires up and down from the bottom each inch. When you're done with the first one, attach the cloth strip at each end to keep it in place. Repeat with next wire and terminate ends.
The actual seat assembly is in the 66 Interior assembly.
Please include year, model, plant and build date on future posts, so I don't have to look up what your car is in your profile  ;)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline koski19

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »
Sorry about that. I'll include in future posts. 1966 Mustang Coupe, San Jose build, standard interior.  6R07T238699. Thanks for the info. I did make a trip to a local interior shop and the owner gave me a piece of burlap that was in good condition with 12 wire strands already installed from another vehicle that will work although they are abit longer. Cut to length, bend the ends and all is good. Now onto the frame......

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline koski19

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
Most upholstery shops will tell you that you can't do this at home. So here's how to do it. The info is from an Oct 65 build 66 San Jose Hardtop, with the seats made in the Los Angles area. The same basic procedure applies to 67.
I haven't found a source for the spring strung burlap so I made my own. The burlap is no problem, the wire is a hard drawn steel wire 0.035 in dia and music wire is a good substitute. My current source is Granger -
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PRECISION-BRAND-Music-Wire-3L569
I've seen a couple of different ways to terminate the wire ends: a wad of 2 inch wide, real cheap white cloth strip with the wire hooked in a 270 degree loop; the same as above but with a burlap strip; the wire ends bent back about an inch and then with a 1/4 inch dip to lock.
Mark the new burlap with white chalk every inch lengthwise and across. There are about 17 wires on the bottom so make 17 lines across. The back has 15. Use the number of wires from your seat. Make a loop in the wire at one end and feed the wires up and down from the bottom each inch. When you're done with the first one, attach the cloth strip at each end to keep it in place. Repeat with next wire and terminate ends.
The actual seat assembly is in the 66 Interior assembly.
Please include year, model, plant and build date on future posts, so I don't have to look up what your car is in your profile  ;)
Jim

Jim,
Thanks for the directions and info. Looks like I'll be visiting Grainger for the wire. The ones I have can't be reused they are really rusted and probably won't hold up. I have the upholstery, batting material and the burlap. I was able to salvage the rear frame, found rust, used a wire brush on it, then used a rust preservative, then two coats of rusty metal primer. Today, a trip to Grainger and a two coats of flat black paint and it'll be ready to upholster. Thanks Again....
Jeff

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:09:30 AM »
Another source for the spring wire is a hobby shop. Different diameters are usually available in 3 foot lengths. It's commonly used in R/C airplanes!

p.s. They will  also normally carry regular mild steel wire also, so just make sure what you're getting.
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline koski19

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and info. I really appreciate your time.

Jeff

Offline koski19

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 01:12:37 PM »
Well, it was blasted hot here in Northern Nevada and decided to finish the upholstery on the rear seat of my 66 Coupe in the house were it was cool. The wire arrived from Grainger for the burlap piece on the rear back cushion. Many thanks to jwc66k for the info on ordering!. Each frame piece was stripped down, media blasted then coated with Extend Rust Neutralizer, two coats of rusty metal primer and two coats of flat black enamel. The rear seat had two factory tags still attached. The numbers are "SG C6ZB-6563120  A   and SG  11-15" They too, were reattached to the bottom frame when the job was completed. The job took ten hours. The seat upholstery came from Distinctive Industries and came when I purchased the Mustang. NPD provided the batting material, burlap and hog rings/pliers. The job was easier than I expected although time consuming trying to get everything right. I attached several before and after photos. Feels good to get other projects finished while the unibody is at the media blaster. ETA July 15th. Thanks again for all inputs and suggestions.

Jeff

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 02:44:39 PM »
Looks good. It's difficult but not impossible, the second one is a lot easier. I find that putting the seat in the sun to heat the vinyl so it's easier to stretch for a better fit is the way to go (except today, it was 95 yesterday, 96 forecast today, etc). As to Granger, I've found several items (rivets, O-rings, tools, etc) there that are not available on the shelf locally.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline shubham

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 01:58:32 AM »
Thanks for share with us pictures