Author Topic: Concours restored or Show car restored?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline 70Twister

Concours restored or Show car restored?
« on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:21 PM »
Wanted to see what everyone thanks about which car sell better? Concours restored or show car restored and which one sells for the most money? And why?
70Twister
351C Dearborn Build date 10/13/69

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Concours restored or Show car restored?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:30:54 PM »
Two cars, basically the same equipment/packages and colors... the concours restored one having received multiple National Gold awards will almost always sell for more than a non-concours car.  Some would argue that if a car isn't done to concours level, it really isn't "restored" in terms of the definition of the word.

Where it gets complicated is concours vs. modified.  There are so many variations and ways a car can be modified.  Some jobs look really bad and some really nice.  Think that it would be harder and more risky to do a modified car with intentions of selling when complete.  Mainly because so many more man hours are required to build one and parts will generally cost more if everything is updated to modern components.  It isn't unusual for a well-done modified car to exceed well into 6 figures just in cost to build.

Last consideration is the higher level Thoroughbred and Division 1 SAAC cars, where no reproduction parts are used.  These cars are pretty rare and take a considerable amount of additional monetary and time resources to build.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 02:17:40 AM »
Not sure what your referring to with the term "show car restored"

Sorry never heard of a phrase.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »
I think it depends on WHO you market it to !!

Then there is even WHERE you sell it !   (We see a difference between the wants in AZ in Jan and LV in Oct - different crowd, different price points)

THe other problem is there are many cars that THINK they car concours , but are a mismatch of parts and date codes.

WE have to hold the terms Restoration and Concours to a VERY HIGH standard!    How often do you see a car that LOOKS the part, and rings the bell (the Color change M code 70 in Reno for example) but underneath OMG!   A Krylon restoration at best.

Mark
P.S.  LATELY I am only looking at original cars!    (Too many built with a Visa from a catalog that are too shiny and smell bad on the block because the paint is still degassing)
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline roddster

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »
Showcar restored:  Competetive in an ISCA show.  Class winner or Catagory winner.  Well, if you go to those shows, shiney wins.  Might not even have to be correct as, these are multimake shows.  Tough to know the nuances fo all the makes.
Concours shows: single make, like MCA, or SAAC.

Offline shubham

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 07:20:55 AM »
Nice lines, Thanks for Share with us.

Offline rcampbell

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 06:52:34 PM »
I have shown my two thoroughbreds in both the MCA and the ISCA. Even though they have done very well you cannot get NOS parts to be as shiny as some higher end reproduction parts. The nice thing with ISCA is that you can win money. At one show I took best restored along with several other awards and took home $1050.00 which was great. From the high end ISCA cars that I have seen sold they have not come close to what a high end concours car brings.

Rick