Author Topic: 66 GT350  (Read 4631 times)

Offline rkolenda

66 GT350
« on: April 03, 2014, 12:59:03 PM »
I am new to this site,what a great resource.  I am restoring a 1966 GT 350   CS1512.It is in very good shape to start with.It has all its original sheet metal including rockers, floor pans and quarters. After media blasting there was no rust. It had an amateur restoration back around the early 80's where they painted over all the original natural bare steel parts underneath the car.It turned out to be a good thing as it keep those parts from rusting .After stripping these parts we ended up with nice parts that were not all pitted up.  Unfortunately  because of all that extra paint some of the original details were lost.A couple of questions for the Shelby guys ,the MCA judging guide list that the front upper shock upper brace is to be painted semi gloss black.  What I found on this car after stripping the back finish and primer layer was a copper color similar to the color of the rear axle brackets for the undermount traction bars.Anyone else seen this before?I believe it to be the original color based on how it was applied.  Did Shelby get these front shock brackets from the same supplier as the traction bars?  As I need to paint the rear brackets does anyone know of a good color match?Also  The shocks are listed in the MCA guide as Autolites or Fomoco.Did any of these cars run Koni shocks at the time of this build? Thank you for any help and advice as I really would like to get this authentic.Bob

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 66 GT350
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
Welcome to the site! I wish I could help on your question, though I haven't a clue for that. I do know that many answers can be found here by using the "search box". Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) members are commonly answering such questions. Try using various words, you might get your answers sooner than later! :D Well Wishes on your project!
Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:34:32 PM »
Are you talking about the export brace?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rkolenda

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 02:01:20 PM »
Charles,not the export brace but the upper shock brackets that bolt to the top of the shock tower.  These from this car have the correct reinforcement washers that Shelby  had welded on. As I was removing the circa 1982 black paint there was a layer of primer underneath and under the primer was the copper color over bare steel.It looks to be the original color.I thought if Shelby sourced these modified brackets from the same source as the traction bars that might account for the color being the same as the traction bar brackets that bolt to the rear shock plates.  The MCA lists the front shock brackets as semi gloss black and the rear traction bracket as copper color.Thanks,Bob

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 03:00:49 PM »
The copper color on the shock caps is a curious color of brazing that was used.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »

Charles,not the export brace but the upper shock brackets that bolt to the top of the shock tower.  These from this car have the correct reinforcement washers that Shelby  had welded on. As I was removing the circa 1982 black paint there was a layer of primer underneath and under the primer was the copper color over bare steel.It looks to be the original color.I thought if Shelby sourced these modified brackets from the same source as the traction bars that might account for the color being the same as the traction bar brackets that bolt to the rear shock plates.

Not from the same source nor even placed on the car at the same plant. The front shock mounts were installed at San Jose and were an export Mustang part while the under ride traction bars were aftermarket put on at Shelby.   You've likely just uncovered something a previous owner did - we/they often painted things like that and rear end all sorts of colors in the 70's

Not sure what you meant when your referred to thinking the paint was original "based on how it was applied"?

The MCA lists the front shock brackets as semi gloss black and the rear traction bracket as copper color.Thanks,Bob

That matches ever original 66 Shelby I've ever seen over the last 40 plus years

By the time your car was assembled they had stopped using Konis though they were one of the first modifications most owners did once the cars got home.

Welcome to the site - we're here to help

Remember to ask allot of questions (before you do the work) , use the search feature (if they are older posts you can might want to check if there is some new info ;)  and include what your car is in every thread :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rkolenda

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 05:23:05 PM »
Thanks for the info.After further removal of all the paint I can now see that Ruppstang is correct.It is infact the brazing that is the copper color    that I see .I am surprised at how far away from the washer that the brazing filler has actually spread.So semi gloss black it is going to be.  Now I need to find the right shade of copper paint for the rear brackets.Jeff thank you for the help ,I allways had thought. that the reinforcement washers were unique to Shelby's. I think I will run the koni's ,paint them the right shade of red for the period and take the point deduction if we show it.  Bob

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:12:40 PM »
.............. I think I will run the koni's ,paint them the right shade of red for the period and take the point deduction if we show it.  Bob

Make your choices then be happy with them.

Again welcome to the site - hope you find the information here useful in your efforts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 08:49:11 AM »
The copper color on the shock caps is a curious color of brazing that was used.
+1 it is from a process called oven brazing. You will find similar process on a lot of intake manifold pcv fittings
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:28:54 AM »
Theses brackets were typically dipped in black paint, so if you want to them to be absolutely correct, would expect to see some evidence of dip, like a couple runs here and there.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 12:30:43 PM »
Here is a link to some pictures of what the original front shocks would have looked like.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2013/11/just-details1966-shelby-gt350-shocks.html