Author Topic: 1968 Shelby GT500 KR Detailing Questions  (Read 3229 times)

Offline dwdshelby

1968 Shelby GT500 KR Detailing Questions
« on: March 26, 2014, 01:33:20 PM »
Hi, I have a 68 Shelby GT 500 KR auto convertible built June 3/68 in NJ.

On the undercarriage there is a large flat reinforcing plate that bolts across the drivetrain tunnel. I have seen pictures that show it painted sg black and others that are a natural steel. What is the proper finish for this plate?

As well, I believe that the hood hinges should be natural stamped steel but the repros and many restorations are finished sg black. Should they be natural?

The alternator, power steering and smog brackets should all be sg black except for the large power steering bracket that remains a natural aluminum finish. Is this correct?

Finally, was the convertible top frame painted assembled or were the painted parts assembled? I know this is a very general question but uncertain if the bushings and fasteners were painted or not.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Dwdshelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 Shelby GT500 KR Detailing Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »
Hi, I have a 68 Shelby GT 500 KR auto convertible built June 3/68 in NJ.

On the undercarriage there is a large flat reinforcing plate that bolts across the drivetrain tunnel. I have seen pictures that show it painted sg black and others that are a natural steel. What is the proper finish for this plate?

First thanks for providing all the info. For this plant and year

Semi-gloss black

As well, I believe that the hood hinges should be natural stamped steel but the repros and many restorations are finished sg black. Should they be natural?

Phosphate and oil - both the hinge and spring

The alternator, power steering and smog brackets should all be sg black except for the large power steering bracket that remains a natural aluminum finish. Is this correct?[/quote]

For your year and engine - yes

Finally, was the convertible top frame painted assembled or were the painted parts assembled? I know this is a very general question but uncertain if the bushings and fasteners were painted or not.

Leave that one for the convertible experts here ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:05:52 AM »
I'll try for the assist  ;D
For the PS adjuster bracket, 68 NJ can be either SG black as Jeff mentioned or phosphate/oil.
Tops were mostly asembled including lower eiforcing plates as evidenced by paint witness line. It appears the front header bow may have been detached as I've never found paint on the acorn nuts. cables were not attached.
Because of the near 100% coverage of paint I've wondered whether or not they were electro-dipped
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline dwdshelby

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 12:46:47 PM »
Thanks Jeff and Tim much appreciated.

Best
Dave

Offline dwdshelby

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:53:58 PM »
Hi, I forgot to inquire about the hood latch and striker finish for the same car?

Phosphate/oil on the latch and bare steel striker?

Thanks
Dwdshelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 06:22:41 PM »
phosphate/oil for both
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline dwdshelby

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 07:55:22 PM »
Thanks Tim.

Dave

Offline Oz390

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »
On the top frames there is evidence I have seen on the ones I have investigated that they were painted while partially assembled. 

The large bushings between the rear and intermediate side rails (main pivot point above the 1/4 window) often show black paint on one side, shadowing/bare on the other. 

It appears many fasteners and pins, washers, clips were phosphate and oil.  No overspray and paint on many (latch screws and header adjusting parts come to mind).  The bows appear to have been done separately too, as most I have seen have paint under the bracket to attach to the frame.  The latch assembly (handle lever arm and latching cam/hook) was definitely painted in pieces, then assembled and installed.  The rear frame mounts mostly show bare metal below the bolted plate, painted bolts, which is odd as it would mean they were painted assembled and the cylinder's were in, or they were then taken apart and reattached to install the cylinders.

Would agree with Tim that the headers look to be done separately to the rest of the frame and the main body of the frame appears to have been assembled and painted.  I would think with the side rail links, latches, cables, coathooks off, at least for 68's as the main hinge often has paint on the main hinge pin and bushings and the overspray/shadow on the rear pivot.  Not sure about the balance link but would lean towards it being on the frame for initial paint as most eccentrics show shadowing on the hex nut (paint on top, underside bare) and shadowing for the washer too, as well as many showing bare or poor coverage on the lower backsides near the frame mount.

Different to 66's which appear to have been painted then assembled and the pin head and bushings do not show paint overspray on the few I've seen.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute