Author Topic: Phosphate and oil  (Read 2268 times)

Offline jtfx6552

Phosphate and oil
« on: May 03, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »
Are there any vendors that will do this properly for a Mustang? Or do I have to start cooking, lol.

Also, I think I need to do my hood hinges, but I'm not sure what other items would have had that finish on a October 29 64 scheduled build date Dearborn car.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Phosphate and oil
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »
The zinc (and other types) plater I used, added phosphating to his line but it was not profitable, so he directed the "hobby" guys to me. I've done items for Chevy, Mercedes, Mopar and Datsun owners.
In addition to the hood hinges (the springs should be darker to look heat treated); hood latch; hood auxiliary catch bar; all fender, hood hinge, hood latch bolts; all "J" and "U" nuts (well, almost all); strut rods (lightly); there's more.
I use stainless everything when phosphating, tanks, tools. My prime tank is a restaurant type, 12 3/4 X 11 1/2 X 3 7/8, and I still need to "splash" the bath over the spring hook. I use an 18 in long SST fish poacher for strut rods and other long items, a minute for one end, then with a pair of SST hooks, flip to the other end. A SST strainer gets small stuff out. A galvanized tub with cool water is used to rinse. Air dry, then oil.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Phosphate and oil
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
I'm getting very close to needing to do this also. I just picked up the rotisserie from my brother this afternoon, so the car is coming apart soon! As I disassemble it, I'll be tossing various items Into their "category of plating" bins. So let the real work begin! These are uncharted waters for me. The money tree only produces "leafs" as it wants, usually not as I want. I may be doing some of these tasks myself, but if it is just as inexpensive to send them out, then so be it. My job is on my 67 Coupe, San Jose. Most of the same items (mentioned above) were originally P&O, so since I've seen the difference in the attempts of amatuers on repainting or just wire-wheeling such things, I know I'm not cutting that corner. If I can do this myself and save a bunch of money, I may go that route too. But if the cost difference on doing just a basketful of parts is about the same, taking into shipping costs, then outsourcing it I will be doing.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:36:39 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments