Author Topic: Large Vibration Tumblers and Media  (Read 16452 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Large Vibration Tumblers and Media
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »
I think Marcus put the gas cap there to give an idea of the size of the media, I'm pretty sure the cap would be destroyed after a few minutes with that media.

I was wondering about that :)

Thanks all for the comments. I've considered a smaller tumbler for bolts/hardware etc, but the larger items I wasn't sure what way I wished to go just yet. Problem is, they are all off the car, disassembled and as soon as I'm done paying the IRS, will be my next project.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline preaction

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 06:00:09 PM »
I recently got a large tumbler and after reading the posts here I didn't see anyone mentioning using anything but the media besides  water  has anyone found the need for the solutions sold with the ceramic media or is water alone giving a desired finish.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 07:11:23 PM »
I use TSP, Tri-Sodium Phosphate, in mine with water. For some reason, I get minimal surface rust with TSP.
I also use a rock tumbler with brake drum filings as an abrasive media on small items, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. Nothing but glass bead blasting will clean up threads.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rodster

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 10:57:54 PM »
What parts are you folks cleaning up with these tumblers?  Any before/after pics?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 07:27:25 AM »
Well...sounds like you got it figured out.  This is one of the best tools I have in my shop, you will wonder why you waited so long.

Great minds think alike Marcus. I have the same unit. I split mine in haIf and use ceramic in 2 sizes. I use mine as much as I can fo all kinds of things. Just curious about the gas cap and if you ran it through the tumbler. Also just bit the bullet and purchased a vapour blaster. So now between the vapour blaster, tumbler and media blaster, combined with electrolysis & Evaporust I should be able to deal with any metal prep in house. I am looking forward to seeing how some new bright zinc plated parts look when I tumble them.

FYI small parts are a bit of a challenge to find and to dig out I find and also the smaller media I am using is too big to clean threads on fasteners for example.

I put these parts in the tumbler and like how they turned out
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 07:35:29 AM »
What parts are you folks cleaning up with these tumblers?  Any before/after pics?

Here are a few examples of before and after.

The power steering bracket was polished at some point, so I used the tumbler to remove the shine and give it a more natural look.

Most of the metal parts we previously painted, so I used paint stripper first and then put then through the tumbler.

Some parts that did not turn out as well as I hoped they would I ran through the vapour blaster after and was pleased with the results.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:40:12 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 05:40:51 PM »
What size/type media is being used on each side?

I have a standard size cement mixer and found that a 5 gallon bucket fits snugly inside the vanes. I tried some rock inside the bucket just to see if the rock "tumbled correctly."
It sounded like it was tumbling.
Anyone else tried that (besides the Youtubers that I don't trust)?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 04:09:00 AM »

I have a standard size cement mixer and found that a 5 gallon bucket fits snugly inside the vanes. I tried some rock inside the bucket just to see if the rock "tumbled correctly."
It sounded like it was tumbling.
Anyone else tried that (besides the Youtubers that I don't trust)?

Hi Bill not sure why it posted the photo sideways for some reason.

The small size is about the size of a pea and the larger size are about the size of a peanut in the shell. I can measure them next time I am at the shop.

It is interesting how the units works. It just churns counter clockwise. I find it works great on medium size parts. Sometimes I media blast a part then tumble it, or just paint strip it and tumble it or Evaporust and then tumble it. So far I have not had a part in the tumbler for more than an hour, but plan to experiment as it is still a new process. It's pretty loud when it is running so its a good thing we have the machine outside the back of the shop in the compressor room with the media blaster etc.

I have attached a video that shows how it works. The part just tumbles over and over and the it is not an aggressive process. It is more of a subtle process that give a smooth consistent finish. I do like how you can brighten up a dull part and dull a bright part. I am looking forward to seeing how it works on bright zinc to see if it gives it a  dull zinc look.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 04:21:38 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline rodster

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 12:26:12 AM »
Here are a few examples of before and after.

The power steering bracket was polished at some point, so I used the tumbler to remove the shine and give it a more natural look.

Most of the metal parts we previously painted, so I used paint stripper first and then put then through the tumbler.

Some parts that did not turn out as well as I hoped they would I ran through the vapour blaster after and was pleased with the results.

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline brcron007

• Always 1 more detail ! ;)
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 01:51:48 PM »
Thought on an inexpensive tumbler idea. Friend of mine gave me an old/new harbour freight cement mixer. Don't have a pic but it is clean in the barrel. Opinions on using this with ceramic or other media to act as a large tumbler ? Just a thought over the real nice 2000k to 3000k tumblers. Opinions ?
1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428 CJ R-code, Dearborn assembled on January 20, 1969-Marty report 3 Days ahead of schedule. Door tag says the 23rd. I have a time machine, PS, PDB, C-6 automatic-added factory AC, Tilt-Away, intermmitant wipers Have a complete 69 cougar factory electric sunroof avail.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 04:37:17 PM »
Way back when I worked for a living (Production Control Manager), my company used a device similar to a cement mixer to clean  metal parts via tumbling. The parts were not large nor heavy - the size of a tie rod end. The "heavy" aspect is that heavy stuff would eventually puncture the drum. The media was triangular shaped ceramic pellets about the size of a cherry pit to a small olive. I don't believe there were mixing blades inside the drum. It took several hours to clean up a batch so it ran all day and was emptied at the end of the shift.
For Mustang restoration to clean hardware and other small items, I use a rock tumbler or a vibrator (see Eastwood). Large stuff gets bead blasted.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2019, 04:44:32 PM »
Not sure what you would coat the interior surface of the mixer to eliminate the contact between the parts and the metal drum and blades. Any contact between metals can result in unwanted issues especially in the turning/rotating and dropping actions this sort of machine produces
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 08:54:59 PM »
I suspect there is more technology to a well operating tumbler for our kinds of parts than meets the eye.  Looks simple/easy but isn't.  I am also shopping for a tumbler and hope to find a nice used Mr. Deburr or similar.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline brcron007

• Always 1 more detail ! ;)
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2019, 09:46:07 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for your input. It was just a thought. I agree with all that was pointed out. Thx, Ron
1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428 CJ R-code, Dearborn assembled on January 20, 1969-Marty report 3 Days ahead of schedule. Door tag says the 23rd. I have a time machine, PS, PDB, C-6 automatic-added factory AC, Tilt-Away, intermmitant wipers Have a complete 69 cougar factory electric sunroof avail.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2019, 10:48:34 PM »
I took our cement mixer and put a 5 gallon plastic bucket inside of the 3 vanes.
That kinda worked so then I put wood vanes inside of the plastic bucket so that the media would tumble better. Hmmmm.
Not so impressive so I took smaller parts and put them in the vibratory tumbler. Much better.

I think the commercial version is the way to go.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion