Author Topic: Best Shocks to buy to simulate Autolites  (Read 2164 times)

Offline craig429

Best Shocks to buy to simulate Autolites
« on: March 20, 2010, 03:20:07 PM »
I need front and rear shocks for my 67 289 Auto San Jose Coupe.  I am planning on entering it in the unrestored class and know I will loss at least 1 point but would like to make the shocks as close as I can. What is the closest brand shock to buy?  I know I will have to paint them semi-gloss black.  Anything else I need to do?

Thanks
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Best Shocks to buy to simulate Autolites
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:33:42 PM »
No luck finding originals or NOS?  I would think you could at least find the rears.

As far as replacements, check in the NPD catalog, they have some decent ones.  Maybe you could fill in the markings with some putty before paint. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Best Shocks to buy to simulate Autolites
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »
There are some sold on ebay (for the rears - easiest of the set to see at a show) that have the individual spot welds that attach the outer can to the upper part of the shaft. With these and others you will need to grind away or fill the info stamped in the car or the common "57" at the top end of the front shocks ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)