Author Topic: Which hole is the base for the K-Code clutch return spring?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline wunderwerks

Which hole is the base for the K-Code clutch return spring?
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »
Putting this November 64 K-Code together from a nearly bare shell is taking forever.  With the stock HIPO manifolds and the long return spring it appears there will not be sufficient room for clearance of the left exhaust pipe to bolt to the manifold.  Right above the outside motor mount bolt on the shock tower is a slot with another hole a 1/2" below the slot.  This works perfect for the long spring (correct for this mfg. date) but when I try to install the H-pipe the spring rides against the left exhaust pipe.  There are two 1/4" holes below the outside mount bolt about 1/2" apart vertically.   Would the return spring for the HIPOs be hooked into these two lower holes or am I missing something entirely different?
64.5 Cpe. Poppy Red 5F07D 23G
64.5 Conv. Bright Cherry Sparkle 5F08F 16F
65 2 + 2 Caspian Blue 5F09K  23K

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Which hole is the base for the K-Code clutch return spring?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:02:25 PM »
The short end of the spring attaches to the frame below the motor mount.  There should be a slit hole in the frame.  Then the spring just attaches to the end of the shift fork.  If you're still unable to get this to work, probably best to post a pic.  You might have an H-pipe made wrong or replacement shift fork.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline wunderwerks

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:10:10 AM »
Charles, thanks for your help.  Here is a picture of the shock tower from underneath.
I guess my question is did all clutch return springs use the slotted hole no matter what engine was in the car?  I thought possibly the two holes below the outboard motor mount bolt might have been specific for the HIPOs.
64.5 Cpe. Poppy Red 5F07D 23G
64.5 Conv. Bright Cherry Sparkle 5F08F 16F
65 2 + 2 Caspian Blue 5F09K  23K

Offline hopeto

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:59:43 PM »
My Oct 64 K has the hook of the spring going through the top of the 2 round holes with the end of the hook slightly protruding through the bottom hole. No clearance problems.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 12:27:43 PM »
My Oct 64 San Jose K has the spring going through the upper slotted hole first, with the hook end coming back through the round hole below it.  You can barely see it circled in the pic.  This is how I received the car.  Disregard the "OEM" helper spring.   :)

'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6