Author Topic: 1968 Coupe - Parchment interior . question for Package tray  (Read 1356 times)

Online jwc66k

Re: 1968 Coupe - Parchment interior . question for Package tray
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 04:46:14 PM »
I just received my package tray from NPD. I'm not sure though which side is the side that is up and gets the paint. There is a rough side and smooth side. Which is the exposed up side?
Rough side up. See Charles' earlier posting of this pristine '66:
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=26172.0
An excellent surface for "appearances" - and catching dust.
(On my 66 Hardtop daily driver, I glued a 1/2 inch thick foam rubber pad to the panel, covered it with the "hyde" of the South American black "nauga", while making provisions for a pair of Radio Shack (remember them) speakers.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2022, 04:48:15 PM »
Thank you. As for the insulation, what I was sent by NPD is gray which from unrestored pictures of 68 coupes is clearly wrong. Plus the material I had in my car is light brown. Where can I get the proper insulation material? I could cut out what I need if I can find a large enough piece.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2022, 05:32:45 PM »
Thank you. As for the insulation, what I was sent by NPD is gray which from unrestored pictures of 68 coupes is clearly wrong. Plus the material I had in my car is light brown. Where can I get the proper insulation material? I could cut out what I need if I can find a large enough piece.

Don't know of anyone currently selling new sound deadener in that partial. Donor car (such as a large Ford, T Bird, Lincoln or Merc) may be your only choice
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2022, 06:03:51 PM »
Thank you Jeff.  So from a MCA concours judging perspective,  should I do without the insulation or put in the gray insulation or try to source the brown color material?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2022, 08:41:05 PM »
Thank you Jeff.  So from a MCA concours judging perspective,  should I do without the insulation or put in the gray insulation or try to source the brown color material?

For both judging and representing your car as being restored you should try IMHO to source the material that matches the original product Since only portions of it will be visible from the trunk side you might be able to source by removing the underlayment attached to the back side of some molded carpet also rotating the nicer looking detached side to the bottom side

Just another possibility

Come to think of it you might be able to get some by purchasing Snake Oyl's underlayment and detaching the jute layer from the tar layer but confirm what they are supplying currently since it has been many years since I last purchased some that we used to make the trunk underlayment for the car and article in the Library. Not much information nor picture on the site :(

https://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Ssnake-Oyl&Category_Code=CU
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2022, 08:42:27 PM »

For both judging and representing your car as being restored you should try IMHO to source the material that matches the original product Since only portions of it will be visible from the trunk side you might be able to source by removing the underlayment attached to the back side of some molded carpet also rotating the nicer looking detached side to the bottom side

Just another possibility

Come to think of it you might be able to get some by purchasing Snake Oyl's underlayment and detaching the jute layer from the tar layer but confirm what they are supplying currently since it has been many years since I last purchased some that we used to make the trunk underlayment for the car and article in the Library. Not much information nor picture on the site :(

https://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Ssnake-Oyl&Category_Code=CU

What ever you use you might have to strip it down to a very thin layer so that it does not raise the package tray a noticeable amount where it looks odd
Jeff Speegle