Author Topic: #2 Crossmember (Removable Tube) Attaching Bolts  (Read 570 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
#2 Crossmember (Removable Tube) Attaching Bolts
« on: April 23, 2022, 11:04:32 PM »
A request for some information and pictures of the attaching bolts that hold the somewhat glossy black removable cross member to the front frame rails came up in one of the Members Build threads and since those and some other sections cant be see by non-members I thought I would also post them here in an effort to provide support and information to all. Hope this helps others

From a late 68 San Jose Mustang. If your wondering about the red safety coloration of the lower control arm adjusting bolt this was a new thing introduced in 68 (big focus on safety marks) but the forward washer is not dyed.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: #2 Crossmember (Removable Tube) Attaching Bolts
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 12:36:28 AM »
Do you have a pic of the cone/ taper shape under the bolt head that centers the support hole on the cone area?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 12:43:18 PM »
Do you have a pic of the cone/ taper shape under the bolt head that centers the support hole on the cone area?
No. But AMK does. 379068-S.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 06:55:42 PM »

Looked and it appears no I don't have a good picture of either the threaded section with the guide tip nor the tapered section of the head that centers the cross member, only more of the head design I must have been focusing on at the time
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 07:09:11 PM »
Figured I would do a quick search of Epay and came up with these shots though each were not identified as to year and plant

Lower right was identified as a Drake reproduction. Notice that the head markings are different from the examples posted. They may again have used a later service replacement for the pattern. Looks to be the same supplier with an updated marking design

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 08:06:09 PM »
Let me add to the confusion. The bolt in question has a name. It is 379068-S (natural, no finish). To further the confusion, I have determined that the head of this bolt used on 1964 thru 1966 Mustangs were unmarked. No manufacturer or grade markings are on the head. My samples are mostly San Jose. In 1967 (early, mid, late?), a "F" head bolt was introduced, with a grade 5 marking. There are rumored to be other head markings. One I have is a "B" in a "U". That is identified as a reproduction. If so, it was sold at least 20 years ago. Remember, the majority of cars i have access to in the San Jose area were made in Milpitas.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 08:12:44 PM »
Here are my bolts. Clearly shows an F on the head. In an earlier picture it looks like they have red stain markings.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 08:33:10 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline dkknab

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 10:35:44 PM »
Also a question... from the last of the pictures it looks like the bottom of the frame rails are painted red oxide whereas we know the engine area is painted black.  Is that correct that the bottom of the forward frame rails are red oxide not black?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 11:48:51 PM »
Also a question... from the last of the pictures it looks like the bottom of the frame rails are painted red oxide whereas we know the engine area is painted black.  Is that correct that the bottom of the forward frame rails are red oxide not black?

The engine compartment and wheel wells (on San Jose and NJ cars) were painted black by painter(s) standing above the car /on the same level. There was no need to bend over and attempt to spray upward so they tried to spray somewhat flat pattern to get the inner and outer edges of the frame rail and that overspray attached to areas/brackets that hung downward allot or a little depending on the angle and how fast a pass was made with the gun. So its very typical in this area of the undercarriage to see either strong showing of red oxide or that with a light misting of black over the surface in some area.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022, 11:49:44 PM »

Read stain may be due to the application of a thread lock material though I don't recall seeing a note about that in the past
Jeff Speegle