Author Topic: From the library: ditzler 71566, dark red.  (Read 1473 times)

Offline emptys

From the library: ditzler 71566, dark red.
« on: June 24, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »
Does anyone know whether the modern ppg 71566, the dark red color, the interior color,
is close to the original color?   We're trying to color match some of the original dark red
color for the interior,  and there's enough old dark red in various unmolested spots that
we can compare the color, and the finish between the modern colors and the original ones.

Aside from the color, in the original paint, we see some fine metal flake, missing from the
modern colors,  and its very subtle.   But even the red which we're getting seems to
be more saturated than the old color.  It could be that the factory only applied light coats,
or it could be that these current colors just aren't the same.

Are these modern colors accepted, or do people tinker with the paints to get them closer
to the originals?
69 428 GT -- 9F02R -- build date 10/11/68

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: From the library: ditzler 71566, dark red.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »
Does anyone know whether the modern ppg 71566, the dark red color, the interior color,
is close to the original color?   We're trying to color match some of the original dark red
color for the interior,  and there's enough old dark red in various unmolested spots that
we can compare the color, and the finish between the modern colors and the original ones....

Depends on the supplier and the product - just depends. I have not tried to match it - haven't done a red interior 69

Are these modern colors accepted, or do people tinker with the paints to get them closer
to the originals?

Of course - its very common for todays colors not to match and I don't want, on my restorations, something so basic to the build (as well as hard to correct later) something that is wrong or may stand out later
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)