Author Topic: Need Help Determining Correct Drive Shaft Paint Markings for a 1965 Mustang  (Read 2079 times)

Offline blk65fstbk

I have a 1965 Mustang that didn't come with it's original drive shaft. I however found and purchased a drive shaft from a used parts vendor who said that it came off of a 1965 Mustang with a V8 and manual transmission.

My car was built in early November 1964 in Dearborn, MI. It is an A-code, 4-speed manual, non a/c, non ps, non pb, drum brake car. It has a road draft tube if that matters. Can someone tell me what paint markings should be on the drive shaft and their location? Or if there is a reference guide available that would provide that same information.

Thanks.
1965 Mustang Fastback
"A" Code 289 V8, 4 Speed Manual Toploader and 3.00:1 Locking Differential
Raven Black Exterior and Black Standard Interior
No PS, PB or A/C
Built November 5, 1964 in Dearborn, MI

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
There are no printed "guides" or books that correctly list driveline markings for all years and models. Unlike the later years these are not identified on the build sheet of early Mustangs you you are left to find another car from the same time and equipped the same for examples. I don't have enough that match your car to be able to offer a useful response

Remember that its better not to have any marks than to have the wrong ones. And the great thing about drivelines is that they are easy to add later - in fact easier to add once installed ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline blk65fstbk

Jeff, Thank you for the reply. As I attend shows and talk to people, I will look for cars that are similar that have their original drive shafts. Mike
1965 Mustang Fastback
"A" Code 289 V8, 4 Speed Manual Toploader and 3.00:1 Locking Differential
Raven Black Exterior and Black Standard Interior
No PS, PB or A/C
Built November 5, 1964 in Dearborn, MI

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Jeff, Thank you for the reply. As I attend shows and talk to people, I will look for cars that are similar that have their original drive shafts. Mike

Seek out the unrestored cars ;)  Plenty of restored examples will have "borrowed" or made up paint marks :(

Hopefully some member now or in the future will see your request and provide the info for all of us

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

With the help of an Evaporust bath, I hope one day to uncover the paint marks on the drive shaft from my 65 A code coupe ( I know they are there)  ;) Won't help you since my car is optioned different but maybe this will help you to know where to look should you find an un-restored example that matches your car.  Good luck...
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A