Author Topic: Questions on an 8" Differential  (Read 1165 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Questions on an 8" Differential
« on: December 09, 2014, 01:06:07 PM »
Hoping someone can provide some needed information.  I am replacing the pinion seal on an 8" differential out of a 67 Metuchen V8 coupe.  When I took the seal out, there was no oil slinger forward of the bearing.  I looked in the manual and one exploded view of the pinion assembly clearly shows and identifies an oil slinger.  While a second exploded view does not call out, nor show an oil slinger.  So my question is....should there be an oil slinger?

Also, do you recommend replacing the crush sleeve or have any of you had success obtaining the proper preload settings reusing the crush sleeve?  Could the crush sleeve be "reshaped"?

Lastly, I did not notice any orientation marks on the u-joint yoke when I removed it from the pinion.  Is orientation critical?

Thank you in advance,
Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Questions on an 8" Differential
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »

Also, do you recommend replacing the crush sleeve or have any of you had success obtaining the proper preload settings reusing the crush sleeve?  Could the crush sleeve be "reshaped"?

Lastly, I did not notice any orientation marks on the u-joint yoke when I removed it from the pinion.  Is orientation critical?

Thank you in advance,
Mark

question #1: I can be no help on.

question#2:  I have reused the crush sleeves before. It is best to always replace the pinion nut (because they are prone to backing off). Usually, without bearing replacements, I would not be concerned with the crush sleeve. If I DID replace any bearings, I might add a shim that is a few  thousandths thick fore or aft of the original sleeve, you usually can get the sleeve to crush a bit more, that can help get the pinion preload set to specs.

question #3: I have virtually never marked a pinion's orientation at disassembly and to date for over 40 years changing pinion seals and/or rear end bearings, have not found a good reason to do so. I will add this, I imagine the rear end or yoke COULD have been balanced after assembling the third member, but any advantage to doing that might only be on a ratio over 4:11 and up, given the much higher RPM's they would have...not typical on an 8 inch ford to go higher than 3:50's.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Re: Questions on an 8" Differential
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:15:05 PM »
Thank you.

I was on another forum and a member there asked the same question about the oil slinger.  He had indicated that on two 8" differentials he found no slinger.  No one had an answer there either.  So I will reassemble as found with no slinger.

Thanks again, Mark.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967