Author Topic: leaf spring clamp installation  (Read 7276 times)

Offline dkknab

Re: leaf spring clamp installation
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2023, 10:33:10 PM »
My leaf spring clamps are the incorrect finish and are missing the rubber grommets. Is it possible to replace the clamps with proper grommets with the springs installed on the car or is that asking for trouble?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: leaf spring clamp installation
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2023, 12:25:05 AM »
My leaf spring clamps are the incorrect finish and are missing the rubber grommets. Is it possible to replace the clamps with proper grommets with the springs installed on the car or is that asking for trouble?
Yes it is possible. However since you are concerned about the proper finish of the clamps then it begs the question are the leafs of the springs the proper finish? There is no use worrying about the clamps if the leafs look wrong. If like I suspect that the leaf springs were metal color painted over the springs and clamps you will not be able to make things look satisfactory by adding different clamps. It will look half a$$ done and still be a possible deduction(which I know you are concerned about).  If they are not finished correctly then you best take them out and do the job properly. You can take one side out at a time to refinish if you so choose.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby