Author Topic: Improved design upper control arm shaft  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Improved design upper control arm shaft
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2023, 02:50:49 PM »
Rivets and boot leave a lot to be desired. The inner shaft differences are less noticeable.  Given their other authentic attempts I am surprised Rare Parts didn't do better in that area . It isn't like correct looking boots and rivets are not easily available. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2023, 04:36:40 PM »
I will agree with Bob here.  The control arm shafts with the boots on the ends, the Moog ball joints with the Moog boots which are open at the ends have issues with grease coming out of them and the rivets are completely wrong...not to mention they are painted black.  Those are all details that in a judged event people will look for.  Unfortunately not for concours use.   
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 04:39:23 PM by Anghelrestorations »
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2023, 01:33:31 AM »
Yes it appears that their off the shelf reproductions are no better than the ones they have supplied to other name brands.  They have done better in the past but guess that they have choose to go the easier and more profit route since many don't care about the details.  Not sure which of the older workers are still there. I know some have moved on leaving others to make and suggest choices. So goes many "reproduction" parts as we have seen in other examples
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2023, 11:17:35 AM »
The arms are a decent alternative to finding originals without pitting.  I have used them, drilled out the wrong rivets, blast/tumble the arms and then install correct shafts and ball joints (with correct rivets)

Wonder if RP would sell the arms without any parts.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 12:38:51 AM »
If you got painted ones that is a big improvement. Mine were powder coated and quite resistant to paint stripper.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 01:19:02 AM »
If you got painted ones that is a big improvement. Mine were powder coated and quite resistant to paint stripper.

I suggested against the powder coating but they stated the the retails wanted that and they thought they would sell better.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)