Author Topic: Spring Perch Insulating Material  (Read 824 times)

Offline must69

Spring Perch Insulating Material
« on: February 01, 2024, 03:53:11 PM »
I have two questions in relation to refurbished spring perches for my 64.5.

1) What is the material that is glued to the perch that the coil spring sits on and what type of adhesive is used?  It acts as the insulator between the coil and the perch.

2) What type of finish would be best to apply to the bare metal areas such as the perches and the areas of the upper and lower control arms that are not painted black so they do not rust?

Thanks. Phil

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Spring Perch Insulating Material
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 04:36:32 PM »
I have two questions in relation to refurbished spring perches for my 64.5.

1) What is the material that is glued to the perch that the coil spring sits on and what type of adhesive is used?  It acts as the insulator between the coil and the perch.

2) What type of finish would be best to apply to the bare metal areas such as the perches and the areas of the upper and lower control arms that are not painted black so they do not rust?

Thanks. Phil
The rubber material you speak of was not used on assemblyline parts in the 60's . It was something that was added to service parts in the 70's . There are various rust "inhibitors". Boe Shield T9 is one such inhibitor. There are many on the market. No rust inhibitor will keep rust from forming long term (weeks, months ,years) if exposed to moisture   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 06:56:45 PM »
There are various rust "inhibitors". Boe Shield T9 is one such inhibitor. There are many on the market. No rust inhibitor will keep rust from forming long term (weeks, months ,years) if exposed to moisture   
Do not apply any paint or preservative over rust. Get rid of the rust first. I'll let others tell you what they would do.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 08:10:26 PM »
Do not apply any paint or preservative over rust. Get rid of the rust first. I'll let others tell you what they would do.
Jim
I agree you don't put paint or preservative (inhibitor)over rust. Bare metal and rust are two different things.  A rust inhibitor is what is used over the bare metal that the OP wrote about to help keep rust from forming .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline must69

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 04:44:25 PM »
Bob Gaines, Thanks for your reply.  I have not used the Boe Shield T9 product before and I understand what you say about it not being a permanent solution.  What would be your opinion of using a product like VHT clear over the bare metal to prevent rust over the bare metal? 
Thanks.
Phil

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 05:56:52 PM »
not bob but my experience with that is it will yellow and/or rust will reform under it. use the boeshield or a similar product as stated for best results.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 06:47:41 PM »
not bob but my experience with that is it will yellow and/or rust will reform under it. use the boeshield or a similar product as stated for best results.

+1 Don't use clear. Won't last long and its impossible to fix with the part in place.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Maksim27

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 09:42:55 PM »
I use WD-40 Silicon spray on bare metal parts...  Just stay away from parts that need to be painted as fish eye can develope if the silicon gets into bare metal before paint. 

Boeshield T9 is a good product for up to 6-months depending where you live. 

(RPM)- Rust prevention magic: Also works on non-heated areas and is suited for normal climates.  It is a wax that needs heat to apply.

Eastwood High-Temp clear coat: is a good product to use under the dash where you don't want to re-apply Boeshield or silicon as it has some smell to them.  Could potentially yellow after a few years. 

Paint is the best option on bare metal lol... But make sure it looks concours correct or the judges will be able to tell.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 10:42:03 PM »
Most shops and many owners will not allow anything with silicon in their shops. ANY!

Also when phosphating or plating it can ruin batches of chemicals with just a mist. Many of us leaned the hard way :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)