Author Topic: Dye or not To Dye -1964.5 New Member Question  (Read 1313 times)

Offline RAH2 1964.5

Dye or not To Dye -1964.5 New Member Question
« on: August 05, 2018, 10:06:57 PM »
I am new. I have a 1964.5 black white power top convertible, White interior, v260, generator, ps, no ac, console, AT. My father purchased it for me in 1972  from a family (it had a tow bar) when I was 16. It was my service car through college. it then found its way to the family farm barn, then my garage, I became a professional, raised a family, etc. About 7 years ago my then 16 year old son and I pulled it out, got it started, redid the front end. I gave it to a guy to do some work and that turned out to be a disaster. I now have Shaffer Restoration doing the body and Maryland Muscle doing engine/undercarriage both in in Hagerstown, MD. My son and I will then do the interior.

I am now obsessed - I can't sleep, focus on my work, or engage in family activities because I am thinking about my mustang. My goal is to keep it as original and correct as possible but also own it as a fun Sunday driver. For example, I am making safety changes like front disc brakes. I am also making performance changes such as enhanced intake, Hi-Po exhaust manifold and fan, dual exhaust.

I have lots of questions. I will repeat some asked in other venues but for this thread I will ask a new one which I have never asked before.

My rear interior quarter panels are supple and seem well glued. But, they are stained and faded (see pics). Many are encouraging me to replace with a new panel, padding and skin. I am planning to Dye them. Looking at the index, there has been other Dye threads and it seems SEM's is the favorite. Others have commented that dying/painting is harder for the flexible surfaces than the hard plastic. Are there any suggestions, warnings, encouragements?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:09:26 AM by J_Speegle »
Thanks Roger

05/08/64, Dearborn, Convert., DSO Phil.
Raven, Stand. Int., White with Black Trim
AT, 260v, PS, Console

2003 Cobra Convert., Torch Red, 10th Anniv., Stock

2006 GT Coupe, Redfire, Factory Stripes, Stock (Shaker Intake)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Dye or not To Dye -1964.5 New Member Question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 12:15:09 AM »
Welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and the support here helpful in your concours related endeavors

I am now obsessed - I can't sleep, focus on my work, or engage in family activities because I am thinking about my mustang. My goal is to keep it as original and correct as possible but also own it as a fun Sunday driver. .............

I have lots of questions. I will repeat some asked in other venues but for this thread I will ask a new one which I have never asked before.

You'll find the search feature is helpful finding other threads possibly related to your needs so that you can learn through others mistakes and successes ;)

My rear interior quarter panels are supple and seem well glued. But, they are stained and faded (see pics). Many are encouraging me to replace with a new panel, padding and skin. I am planning to Dye them. Looking at the index, there has been other Dye threads and it seems SEM's is the favorite. Others have commented that dying/painting is harder for the flexible surfaces than the hard plastic. Are there any suggestions, warnings, encouragements?

If you have to dye (I wouldn't be choosing that path) clean, clean and clean ... then clean again. Its all about the product and the prep.  Make sure the produce you use has a flex additive in it and don't put people in the rear seat often

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 12:36:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
I am now obsessed - I can't sleep, focus on my work, or engage in family activities because I am thinking about my mustang.
Yeah, no kidding. I'm down to three Mustangs myself.
A combination of paint and dye might be your best option. Stay with original pieces as best as you can.
My goal is to keep it as original and correct as possible but also own it as a fun Sunday driver. For example, I am making safety changes like front disc brakes. I am also making performance changes such as enhanced intake, Hi-Po exhaust manifold and fan, dual exhaust.
You have entered the realm of a modified vehicle. Your goals are contradictory, original and performance. A 64 convertible with a 260 is in itself a desirable Mustang, probably less than 6 thousand still around. And there's nothing wrong with drum brakes (my 66 hardtop has them), plus your proposed engine modifications reduce the value. Keep that in mind. What ever choices you make, have fun.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »
Dying the rear panels may be an option.  It looks like the original material is stretched and possibly brittle.  First time someone puts their elbow on the arm rest area, it might pop the seam.  Guess it would be easier to dye now and then if you have to, replace later.  The panels look nice otherwise.

Remove the metal part and paint separately. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline RAH2 1964.5

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:31:37 PM »
Thanks to all for the replies. As for Charles Turner's comment, the skin feels pliant and supple to me, so I thought I would try dying before replacing. I just wanted to see if there were any hot spots I am not considering. Nothing gained nothing lost if it does not work - except my time, of course. But I have a whole family and clients who say that is worthless. I am having my body guy paint the interior and he will paint the panels which are nice.

That will likely be my next thread - any tips on painting the interior. But I will do an index search first.
Thanks Roger

AT, 260v, PS, Console

Offline RAH2 1964.5

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »
Update. I asked my restoration Guys to Dye the armrest pads and rear Convertible Interior Quarter Panels. See Pics. While I have not yet personally inspected them, my resto guy says he thinks I am going to like the result. I have asked him what stages/processes and products he used to restore them and, when I get the answer, I will post.
Thanks Roger

AT, 260v, PS, Console

Offline RAH2 1964.5

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 02:52:33 PM »
More Pics
Thanks Roger

AT, 260v, PS, Console

Offline RAH2 1964.5

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 02:54:17 PM »
Pic of painted Dash and Door Interiors
Thanks Roger

AT, 260v, PS, Console

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 03:01:30 PM »
Pic of painted Dash and Door Interiors

Looks like your moving along well.

In an attempt to offer some hopefully helpful observations The inside of the doors were painted first then the body color applied originally. When this was done a mask kept the exterior color off of the interior color but the mask did not typically cover all the way out to the weatherstrip channel along the bottom of the door as you have it in the picture above . The center surface of the interior side of the door wasn't left interior color either but its not visible once the car is assembled.
Jeff Speegle

Offline RAH2 1964.5

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
I will pass this along.
Thanks Roger

AT, 260v, PS, Console

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
I see that we have posted pictures of this detail for San Jose and for NJ cars but can't find any 65-66 examples from Dearborn so I up loaded the following

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=18829.new#new
Jeff Speegle

Offline RAH2 1964.5

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 04:35:28 PM »
Update on Rear Quarter Panels. I finally personally inspected the refurbishment of the rear interior quarter panels by my resto guy. They looked great. He said they did not use the SEMs because they did not feel the color was correct. They used the specified ford color code and mixed a water based paint/dye.
Thanks Roger

AT, 260v, PS, Console

Offline RAH2 1964.5

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 04:37:35 PM »
Meant to include pic
Thanks Roger

AT, 260v, PS, Console