Author Topic: Engine ID sticker on 69-70 GT350?  (Read 3176 times)

Offline C9ZZD0ZZ

Engine ID sticker on 69-70 GT350?
« on: February 28, 2019, 07:53:34 PM »
Note: The first few posts were were separated for clarity and focus on the individual subject from another thread about the paper engine ID stickers applied to 69 351W in Mustangs.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19957.0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for all of the GREAT info. You`ll probably remember me better as the guy who fell out of the back of Edgar Carlsons Truck while you were adding some detail stampings to his Brittany Blue GT500. LOL
I don't suppose anyone makes this with the red printing and the CL that you know of? And just for my own curiosity because I have a January built GT350, did the Shelby`s get this decal as well? If so where was it placed?
Thanks Jeff
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:44:35 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: Engine ID sticker on 69-70 GT350?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 09:04:16 PM »
Strange, I have an email where you posted/responded with some of this info over on VMF, but I can't seem to find the post.

My guess for the GT350 Shelby's (351w) is that due to the textured valve covers they did not get the sticker, or the valve covers with the stickers were removed so the Cobra covers could be installed?
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 10:21:23 PM »
I don't suppose anyone makes this with the red printing and the CL that you know of?............

No would mean that one would need to be made. Really not that difficult and it would be closer to original than the reproductions since they are made out of a vinyl material. Just remember to make a handful of them since they will not last long and then you can replaced them as needed without having to make more.   Could likely sell a few to cover the cost ( which would not be allot) and the effort.

And just for my own curiosity because I have a January built GT350, did the Shelby`s get this decal as well? If so where was it placed?

Getting off thread a bit but if kept limited lets see if we can address that question. There was a timing/emission sticker applied to the valve cover behind the breather on Mustang and other Ford applications that on a Shelby was moved to the drivers side shock tower typically above the service spec sticker.

The engine ID sticker Is another matter. I suspect I know where it was applied but only have one picture suggesting this location so I don't think I can share that publically at this time and until I can find more original examples supporting this one finding.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 12:34:32 AM »
If you are going to make your own engine "sticker" out of paper, spray the printed sticker with Scotch Guard. It's a water repellent. I use it on my 65 and 66 heater plenums. For an adhesive, try DAP Weldwood contact cement. It "sticks" but doesn't leave a non-removable residue.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 01:05:48 AM »
Sorry, straying to that slightly off topic area. I am not saying this is correct, but I have no reason to believe that these are not original for a 1969 Shelby GT350.

Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 01:56:58 AM »
If you are going to make your own engine "sticker" out of paper, spray the printed sticker with Scotch Guard. ..........

If you use this do it before you apply the clear film over the top. As for adhesive I now use a small machine that applies a adhesive backing on the label. comes in a number of levels of adhesive

Sorry, straying to that slightly off topic area. I am not saying this is correct, but I have no reason to believe that these are not original for a 1969 Shelby GT350.

No that is what I described above - the timing or emissions sticker

Yes I think we've gotten off thread - different application and different subject. We could continue/start again over in the Shelby section
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 12:50:27 PM »
If you use this do it before you apply the clear film over the top.
If you are going to make your own engine "sticker" out of paper, spray the printed sticker with Scotch Guard.
I think I said that.
As for adhesive I now use a small machine that applies a adhesive backing on the label. comes in a number of levels of adhesive
A rather "ambiguous" machine. Got a manufacturer's name?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 02:07:28 PM »
I think I said that.A rather "ambiguous" machine. Got a manufacturer's name?
Jim

Guess I'll find that earlier thread and add to it there where its more appropriate ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 12:27:28 AM »

Yes , very nice however those are not engine ID stickers which is the topic of the thread.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 12:35:22 AM »
Strange, I have an email where you posted/responded with some of this info over on VMF, but I can't seem to find the post.

My guess for the GT350 Shelby's (351w) is that due to the textured valve covers they did not get the sticker, or the valve covers with the stickers were removed so the Cobra covers could be installed?
+1 . Yes the GT350 most likely had the sticker on the blue sheet metal valve covers before the engine was Shelbyized at the engine plant. The engine did not start life with the wrinkle finish valve covers and aluminum intake. Those items were added later at the engine plant. Apparently the unique valve covers and aluminum intake were visual ques (like the ID stickers ) enough. The Shelbized engines still retained their metal engine ID tag as well so apparently it wasn't a problem for the sticker to be placed some where else.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:42:43 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 11:37:00 AM »
Yes , very nice however those are not engine ID stickers which is the topic of the thread.

See Jeff's reply #4 #3, Only trying to help but if it is incorrect, or you don't like my post, please delete it or move it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:39:36 AM by 69GT350H »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 03:54:26 PM »
May have found the original location where the engine ID stickers were applied but since I only have documentation of one example so far I'll not post a picture of it since it should be confirmed with additional examples IMHO and if I post a picture some viewers may just see and replicate at this point.

The location is similar as used on some other engine sizes the same year and prior years and would be hidden from view (one of the reasons we may not have seen them over the years) and lead to them not lasting over the years also.

Will continue to search for additional examples now that I've got a clue. Guess I should at least share the general location so others can search also :)    Look to the front surface of the drivers side head. Location sort of makes sense and would be a logical alternative to the worker in charge of placing those stickers.

The location would be hidden on most cars because of the AC compressor and mount - Good hunting
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 11:54:11 PM »
Any updates?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 01:33:10 AM »
Any updates?
The engine ID sticker was not replaced on a 69/70 GT350. It would have been on the sheet metal valve cover before being replaced with the Cobra valve covers. Ford apparently did not make a attempt to replace the sticker once the valve cover switch was made given the engine still had the metal ID tag under the coil bracket bolt.

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2023, 11:29:47 AM »
Ok, so this one can just go back into my "Extra/not used" sticker bag.  :-)

https://www.npdlink.com/product/decal-engine-engine-id-code-k211srefer-to/125753