3rd Generation 1979 - 1993 > 1984 - 1986 SVO

looking for info on 1986 SVO Engine/engine compartment fastener finishes

(1/3) > >>

S412gofast:
I am restoring the engine compartment in my 42K mile 86 SVO which has been in storage for quite some time.  I am looking for information on correct finishes for various engine/engine compartment fasteners. 

Bob Gaines:
Maybe a picture of a engine compartment and some specific asks of particular fasteners in different areas needing help with would be helpful. There are a potential of hundreds of different fasteners under the hood. I think a specific fastener would help make it easier for someone answering to use as a starting point and expand from there. Best of luck with the project.

S412gofast:
Thanks for the suggestion Bob.

I am looking for input/confirmation on what the factory finishes are on the following fasteners:

1. Intercooler bracket to intercooler - 4 fasteners  -  phosphate?

2. Throttle body to intake - 4 fasteners  - gold cad or yellow zinc?

3. EGR to back of upper intake - 2 fasteners - zinc?

4. Upper intake to lower intake  - 4 fasteners & Blue Green nut - zinc?

5. Fuel Rail - 2 fasteners - phosphate?

6. Throttle cable plate -  - 2 fasteners - phosphate?

KevinK:
The intercooler brackets are black. I think the NOS one I have may be painted where on the car they seem flat like phosphate.

bluemax:

--- Quote from: S412gofast on August 23, 2021, 11:52:10 AM ---Thanks for the suggestion Bob.
I am looking for input/confirmation on what the factory finishes are on the following fasteners:
1. Intercooler bracket to intercooler - 4 fasteners  -  phosphate?
2. Throttle body to intake - 4 fasteners  - gold cad or yellow zinc?
3. EGR to back of upper intake - 2 fasteners - zinc?
4. Upper intake to lower intake  - 4 fasteners & Blue Green nut - zinc?
5. Fuel Rail - 2 fasteners - phosphate?
6. Throttle cable plate -  - 2 fasteners - phosphate?

--- End quote ---

Great to see someone else interested in the finer details of these cars.

The best way to determine the original finish is to look at the backside of the bolt/screw head. Typically this surface has been protected from the elements and still retains the original finish.

From my experience and pics of low mileage cars...

1. Intercooler bracket mounting bolts should be a dark phosphate like manganese.
2. Throttle body to intake  mounting bolts on a later '86 are zinc dichromate. On a '85.5 they are actually gray phosphate, so there is a changeover somewhere in between. I need to look through some more pics for an early '86.
3. EGR mounting - I will look through my pics
4. Upper to lower intake are manganese phosphate (dark). The nut securing the arm to the p/s - alt. bracket is baby blue.
5. Fuel Rail - I will look through my pics
6. I need to look at the throttle cable bracket mounting bolts again. Some pics appear to be phosphate, but that could be the lighting.

Hope this helps... or at least generates more discussion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version