Author Topic: 390fe warm starting  (Read 766 times)

Offline adam8888d

390fe warm starting
« on: August 24, 2022, 04:55:27 AM »
Hello everyone. I noticed the other day that when i start the 68 mustang from cold. It starts instantly. When i ever go anywhere and the car is left for more than five minutes. The car seems to turn over quite a few times before the engine fires up. Has anyone else had this problem? I thought at first it could be fuel evaporation. But if this was so. The car would not start instantly when cold.  Regards

Offline Deuce

Re: 390fe warm starting
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 11:22:03 AM »
Have similar issues with our 67 2V 289 C code. 

Best explanation I've heard:  Ethanol-blend fuels are more volatile, and will evaporate rapidly in a hot engine with a vented carburetor float bowl.

And it will take some cranking over to start the hot engine while the float bowl is refilled by the fuel pump.  In a cold engine, fuel evaporation doesn't happen as quickly, although sitting a for few days may bring on the same symptoms.

If you try to start the hot engine within a few minutes after shutting down, it likely will fire quickly.  With a longer interval, the still-hot engine will start only after the starter motor cranks for a while.     
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 11:38:39 AM »
Hello everyone. I noticed the other day that when I start the 68 mustang from cold. It starts instantly. When i ever go anywhere and the car is left for more than five minutes. The car seems to turn over quite a few times before the engine fires up. Has anyone else had this problem? I thought at first it could be fuel evaporation. But if this was so. The car would not start instantly when cold.  Regards
No short answer. It could be caused by multiple things. Assuming a Holley on a 68 390 some of the first things that come to my mind is that internally the carb with its pressurized fuel from running is faulty bleeding past the needle and seat allowing fuel to drip drip drip into the engine while sitting and somewhat flooding the engine with a over rich fuel to air mixture causing the hard starting when hot. It may be as simple as changing the needle and seat in the fuel bowls and re adjusting the fuel bowl floats. Possibly adjust your starting method when hot to help live with the problem if you don't fix it. You might try varying methods like when hot not pumping the peddle and see if that helps or a different method of holding to the floor like with a flooded engine makes a difference . You might find a different starting method helps with the hot starting better then when cold if living with the problem and not fixing it.  Just a couple thoughts that come to mind .Best of luck regardless of if solving or living with the problem.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline adam8888d

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 05:40:57 AM »
Thank you for your replies. I noticed reading through the net that this problem has come up many time with the fuel cooking so i have started by removing nearly 2 foot of fuel line as the feed to the carb came in from the back. I will look into installing a insulated gasket to go under the carb also if this does not change anything[/img] regards to all, I will report back in a few days.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 08:08:18 PM »
Hello everyone. I noticed the other day that when i start the 68 mustang from cold. It starts instantly. When i ever go anywhere and the car is left for more than five minutes. The car seems to turn over quite a few times before the engine fires up. Has anyone else had this problem? I thought at first it could be fuel evaporation. But if this was so.

Nothing new and very typical of most cars of this era. Often associated with new/fresh engines also. Things like heat soak of engine and starters. Vapor lock and so on all add to the issue

The car would not start instantly when cold.  Regards

Same thing here. These are not computer controlled cars nor injected ones so I hope your not expecting them to start like one or comparing them to new cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 11:02:12 PM »
Nothing new and very typical of most cars of this era. Often associated with new/fresh engines also. Things like heat soak of engine and starters. Vapor lock and so on all add to the issue

Same thing here. These are not computer controlled cars nor injected ones so I hope your not expecting them to start like one or comparing them to new cars
Sigh...they don't make things like they used to, do they? 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com