Author Topic: Original fenders  (Read 749 times)

Offline cob428

Original fenders
« on: August 27, 2022, 03:23:33 PM »
If the part number on a Shelby Fender has been repaired and is missing, is there another way to tell if you have an original Fender or not?? It appears that 1 of my fenders has been repaired but it has the steel insert that goes all the way across the top of the Fender.
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Original fenders
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 06:07:52 PM »
If the part number on a Shelby Fender has been repaired and is missing, is there another way to tell if you have an original Fender or not?? It appears that 1 of my fenders has been repaired but it has the steel insert that goes all the way across the top of the Fender.

Is this "top" the section that bolts to the top of the inner fender/apron edge? Is it bonded to the fender like the supports are for the headlight attachment bracket?

Like the ones shown below?

From above with the collapse ridges

Bonding adhesive is barely visible in the picture below

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cob428

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 05:04:19 PM »
ok definitely one original fender and one not original. The top of the original fender has the metal insert and the ridges that you show between the fender bolts. The other is as light as a feather and has no ridges, both have been panted black on the inside, are they supposed to be white with some overspray of color?

Pete

Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 05:23:11 PM »
ok definitely one original fender and one not original. The top of the original fender has the metal insert and the ridges that you show between the fender bolts. The other is as light as a feather and has no ridges, both have been panted black on the inside, are they supposed to be white with some overspray of color?

Pete
Pinkish fiberglass look is the most typical then whitish . It depends on build time frame . Some body color overspray is typical also.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cob428

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 05:47:26 PM »
So If I strip the inside of the fender , as it appears I will need to, where is the number on the inside of the fender? By looking at some posts it appears to be towards the back of the fender about mid-fender is this accurate?
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 06:33:55 PM »
So If I strip the inside of the fender , as it appears I will need to, where is the number on the inside of the fender? By looking at some posts it appears to be towards the back of the fender about mid-fender is this accurate?
The engineering number is typically in the middle of the wheel opening of the fender about 5 inches or so from the lip.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby