Author Topic: Calling all 64 1/2, 65/66 Vert owners for help  (Read 1244 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Calling all 64 1/2, 65/66 Vert owners for help
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »
I'm hoping some of you who have a 64 1/2 vert can help me out. I am helping an owner restore his convertible top frame assembly. When it showed up I noticed some inconsistencies from other 65/66 67/68 tops I've seen. I was hoping some of you would take a moment to uncover your cars and check something out for me. Even if you have a 65/66 there is an interesting thing to look for.

First is the shape (cross section wise) of your #4 bow (the one furthest back above the rear vinyl window). I recently looked at what was supposed to be a 65 frame and i noted that it had a "U" crossection. What I mean is that the upright legs were the same height. This is different from what I knew 67/68 frames were which was a skewed "V" shape. The rear leg closest to window is considerably taller than the front leg (fairly short at say 1/2" approx.). This 64 1/2 top shows up with the latter design just mentioned. i initially think that someone has replaced the bow with a 65/66. I made some phone calls and a shop down state has 2 65's and a 66 vert there. The owner checks all three and this is what we notice. All have the skewed #4 bow. The real difference is that the 65's have the lanyard button on the bottom leg while the 66 has it on the short front leg. That makes some sense as a 67 top I have has it on the bottom as well. For some reason in 68 it moves to the leg again. But here is something intresting...the 64 1/2 doesn't have a snap button or even a hole for one. Wondering what some of you will find? What does your car have?

One other intresting piece is the fastener which holds the latching handle mechanism to the front header. Typically its a large headed truss bolt which screws into the header. It is a large philips head (#1) fastener. This 64 1/2 still has a similar fastener but it doesn't have a Philips head. Looks to be a pin which you need to tap out. Looks like the truss bolt but different. So if you have a 64 1/2 try to feel around just in front of the handle. The tention spring may make it a little difficult but see if your fastener has a smooth head without the philips indentation. If it does than this will be a difference between the 64 1/2's and 65/66.