Author Topic: 1969 Shelby GT 500 Radio  (Read 1019 times)

Offline 66 KCode

1969 Shelby GT 500 Radio
« on: December 21, 2023, 09:17:04 PM »
My 69 GT 500 has a AM radio in it, I've found a AM FM radio on EBay, if I put it in will they found this against me at a Shelby show?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1969 Shelby GT 500 Radio
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 11:37:37 PM »
My 69 GT 500 has a AM radio in it, I've found a AM FM radio on EBay, if I put it in will they found this against me at a Shelby show?
It depends on the venue and depends the class the car is in at the given venue. Regardless you better make sure that everything looks proper like knobs, face plate ,wiring ,speaker covers and location etc. so as not to raise any red flags to begin with. Be careful if buying and you are not familiar because there are a number that look similar but are different and regularly misidentified on ebay.  Some because lack of knowledge and others because of dishonest intentions. A knowledgeable Shelby or Mustang judge WILL know the difference.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 09:19:29 AM »
Another option is to have an AM - FM conversion done on your AM radio. This does not change the external looks of the AM radio. There are some pretty good choices of under dash speakers that will sound better and not give your conversion away. I had one done in the Omaha area this year for around $350. The AM radio that you use must be in working order or there will be extra cost.

Best of like with your choices.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 12:10:59 PM »
And what is wrong with "beautiful AM radio"?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 09:19:42 PM »
And what is wrong with "beautiful AM radio"?
Jim
One can't hear talking heads in stereo.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 02:30:38 PM »
One can't hear talking heads in stereo.
Not to be too hypercritical (my F250 has a six speaker surround sound system AM/FM CD player) but while driving, you are supposed to pay attention to your driving - and others listening to their FM radios instead paying attention to "the road" - and you. Plus, AM radio stations usually have road, weather and news reports as a format which will assist you in your driving.
OK, "return with us now, to those thrilling days of yesteryear", and get a CB radio.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MrBill

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2023, 06:23:09 PM »
Not to be too hypercritical (my F250 has a six speaker surround sound system AM/FM CD player) but while driving, you are supposed to pay attention to your driving - and others listening to their FM radios instead paying attention to "the road" - and you. Plus, AM radio stations usually have road, weather and news reports as a format which will assist you in your driving.
OK, "return with us now, to those thrilling days of yesteryear", and get a CB radio.
Jim

Jim,

Uncertain of your location, but around here, AM is overrun by various religious stations preaching whatever the key words of the day are.

Mr Bill

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2023, 01:28:50 PM »
. .  but around here, AM is overrun by various religious stations preaching whatever the key words of the day are.
You could obtain an identical Mustang, year, body style, engine, etc, paint it like your current one, equip it with the options the way you want, "ride it in the style you would like to be accustomed to" and have a "show" car and a "go" car -
- or move.
Jim

Online 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 02:10:33 PM »
You could obtain an identical Mustang, year, body style, engine, etc, paint it like your current one, equip it with the options the way you want, "ride it in the style you would like to be accustomed to" and have a "show" car and a "go" car -
- or move.
Jim

Either option seems a little extreme. I'd have put an FM radio in mine, I have FMOCO AM/FM and FM Stereo slide bar radios, but everyone knows the Hertz cars only came with AM radios. In my area (Miami), AM is mostly Spanish these days. Yes, I tried to learn it but it just did not take. My solution is to use a bluetooth speaker and stream from my phone or MP3 player.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 06:46:13 PM »
You can "go with it", or compromise. It's your choice.
Jim

Offline 66 KCode

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 12:13:07 PM »
Can someone tell did all 1969 Shelby GT 500 have antenna motors. I just purchased one and it doesn't have the motor on it.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 12:37:30 PM »
None had motors.

1969 antennas were manually raised and lowered.

Antennas were installed by dealers, this accounts for the variations you may see

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2024, 02:24:42 PM »
I would go on to add there is a differance in the mast and base hardware on the topside and a difference coaxial cable and tube on the bottom side . The factory antenna is marked PM300 on the diecast portion that the coaxial cable threads into. Sometimes the antenna tip is a pear shape instead of a ball.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby