Author Topic: 69 Shelby Hood Springs/Hood Bow Issue  (Read 322 times)

Offline 66 KCode

69 Shelby Hood Springs/Hood Bow Issue
« on: January 27, 2024, 12:09:38 AM »
Has anybody had trouble with the hood springs causing the hood to bow in the middle on a 1969 Shelby GT ?  My hood was almost 1/2 inch above the fender. Was wandering what to do about it.
Thanks In Advance.
Steve.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 03:15:56 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline AJ

Re: 69 Shelby Hood Springs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 02:02:40 AM »
Somewhat typical.  Might try removing the springs for a while,  let the hood go through a few heat cycles, replace with lighter springs,  and cross fingers. 
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 11:43:58 AM »
Has anybody had trouble with the hood springs causing the hood to bow in the middle on a 1969 Shelby GT ?  My hood was almost 1/2 inch above the fender. Was wandering what to do about it.
Thanks In Advance.
Steve.
A common manifestation. I am sorry to report that it has to do the the internal structure of that specific hood. Not all 69/70 Shelby hoods do it. I know some restorers that have made fixes to the hoods innerstructure to improve the stiffness of the hood.  This can be done internally to not cosmetically effect the look of the innerstructure seen from the underside. Some have added things to add stiffness inside the innerstructure and others have cut small portions out to do the same thing. One alternative is to disconnect the springs and let them hang from the hinges while the hood is down. You reconnect them when you put the hood up to hold it up. The lighter tension springs like used on 67 Shelby all fiberglass hoods is a alternative that may or may not completely take the bow out when closed . Also the light springs when used on the 69/70 hood may sometimes NOT securely keep the hood up allowing it to come crashing down in any slight wind or anything causing a slight movement of the hood. Some owners eliminate the springs and instead use a short length of small link chain to fill the gap of the spring when in the up position. The process of putting the hood in the sun with some weight on it to take the bow out will work short term . It will eventually come back when the hood is heated up sufficiently in the sun and under hood temps.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 11:47:52 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 66 KCode

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 11:29:41 PM »
Thanks for the info.