Author Topic: Fastback Interior Fiberglass Quarter Repair  (Read 550 times)

Offline 66TotalPerf

Fastback Interior Fiberglass Quarter Repair
« on: February 16, 2024, 06:09:40 PM »
Hey all, on my '66 Mustang Fastback, I removed a rollbar and am now repairing the interior fiberglass quarter panels. I've completed all the fiberglass patching, but I'm now having difficulties replicating the texture of the existing panel.

The repair shown was done by spreading 2-part epoxy over top of the fiberglass patch, then when it was almost dry, rolling a piece of vinyl fabric over top, to transfer the pattern into the epoxy. Before I painted it black, it looked like it might not be noticeable, but now that I've shot one coat of black over the epoxy, you can see how glaringly ugly it is.

I'm open to any suggestions to repair these panels as best as possible. Not looking for perfect, but don't want to buy reproduction nor do I want to trash these panels, as I've spent way too many hours repairing all the fiberglass cracks/holes.

Thanks!
Brent
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 08:30:56 PM by J_Speegle »
'66 GT350 Tribute built from ground-up over 12 years and finally being driven!

Offline jwc66k

Re: Fastback Interior Fiberglass Quarter Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 07:13:40 PM »
Try sanding the repair surface. Start with 120 grit "lightly" applied and work up to 240.
Jim
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 08:31:06 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 66TotalPerf

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 09:26:05 PM »
For this repair, I fiberglassed the hole from the backside, sanded the front smooth, cleaned with acetone, then applied the epoxy and stamped with the textured vinyl. For the next attempt, I'll definitely sand off the epoxy and will probably sand down the panel even further so that replicated texture appear flush, since it's very apparent now that the epoxy is raised higher than the rest of the panel.

What I'm asking is if anyone has successfully replicated the texture in these fiberglass panels and how best to do it. I've also considered just buying "Hammered" texturized spray paint and testing if this closely resembles the texture of the panel, but I'm hoping to make the texture repair permanent with bondo/epoxy.

Thanks!
Brent

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 10:19:04 PM »
In my use of hammer tone spray paints they added nothing to the texture There are textured spray paints but know of none that would add the "camera"/correct finish that was used originally on this parts. Either producing to fine of a texture or something not consistent with the original

I've seen bondo used as a thin layer with a silicone sample overlay taken from another prefect of panel then tracing, scratching, connecting the line from the unrepaired area to the patched area. Take some dedication and time 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 10:21:06 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 11:09:07 PM »
In my use of hammer tone spray paints they added nothing to the texture There are textured spray paints but know of none that would add the "camera"/correct finish that was used originally on this parts. Either producing to fine of a texture or something not consistent with the original

I've seen bondo used as a thin layer with a silicone sample overlay taken from another prefect of panel then tracing, scratching, connecting the line from the unrepaired area to the patched area. Take some dedication and time
+1 . Hammertone paint lays out flat and does not add a texture to the surface. I am not aware of any painted product that can come close to duplicating the textured look like made into the panels. Wrinkle texture paint produces a raised texture and spatter paint texture leaves a pebble look finish. The method Jeff describes is the method that others who are able to effectively repair those panels to the point of perfection for others for a fee use.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 66TotalPerf

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 12:24:43 PM »
Thanks!

For the bondo, any idea if I should use traditional body filler, glazing putty, or jelly?

For the silicone stamp, could I just use silicon caulking to build up a template?
I also found these, but of course they're out of stock: https://vinylpro.com/products/automotive-brand-grain-sets
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 12:27:52 PM by 66TotalPerf »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 01:39:28 PM »
Thanks!

For the bondo, any idea if I should use traditional body filler, glazing putty, or jelly?

For the silicone stamp, could I just use silicon caulking to build up a template?
I also found these, but of course they're out of stock: https://vinylpro.com/products/automotive-brand-grain-sets
I would not use silicone caulk. I would suggest to do some research on You tube etc. on how to make a proper mold for your grain impression. It would be helpful to report back on what you find out so others wanting to do the same thing can benefit.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 02:02:37 PM »
Here is one example of a DIY video that can be applied to doing the grain repair.         There are many others. 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 03:52:26 PM »
Brent,
On more time - try sanding the surface. You created a high ridge texture repair. Make it the same low ridge texture as  the original. Then use some two part epoxy to fill in the transition edges. I've used a damp sponge on epoxy for texture. And sand again.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 10:51:16 AM »
Team,

I am literally tring to do the same with my broken console.  I just ordered a silicon molding kit from Amazon last week so I can make repair molds for where my console had chunks missing.

Going to use a good console as a mold.  My only question is what kind of plastic I need to use as repair material?  I think the silicone Mold will get me a perfect grain and missing area replication, I just don't know what to use for a good and strong material to patch with.

I realize the console is plastic and the panels mentioned above are fiberglass.  I think a silicone mold may help you and then fiberglass resin maybe with mold release?

Just a though.

Dan