Author Topic: Any feelings about the new Cobra Jet valve covers form NPD?  (Read 412 times)

Offline DaveF

Any feelings about the new Cobra Jet valve covers form NPD?
« on: March 06, 2024, 09:51:03 PM »
I was thinking of buying a set. I wondered if anyone had good or bad experiences with them?
1970 Mustang Mach One
428 SCJ w/Drag Pak 3.91
Metuchen plant
Built 9/5/1969

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Any feelings about the new Cobra Jet valve covers form NPD?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 09:55:33 PM »
I was thinking of buying a set. I wondered if anyone had good or bad experiences with them?
I will be installing a set that is supposed to arrive Friday.This is the first set that I have used in several years. I don't anticipate a problem given I have used them before with no issues and they have been around for some time. The finish is comparable to NOS units that I have had in the past.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 10:29:06 PM »
I will be installing a set that is supposed to arrive Friday.This is the first set that I have used in several years. I don't anticipate a problem given I have used them before with no issues and they have been around for some time. The finish is comparable to NOS units that I have had in the past.

Bob, would that be period NOS or the late 80-90's version as a service part?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 12:02:17 AM »
Bob, would that be period NOS or the late 80-90's version as a service part?
Well any that you found NOS would be as a service part. The original finish didn't survive long on assemblyline cars as aluminum oxidizes when exposed to the elements. More like later 70's and 80's for the ones that I had .  I can remember comparing the ones I had boxed to the repro versions back 25 30 years ago when they first came out. The ones I have coming shortly are from Cobra Automotive who I believe has them made. I doubt he is the only one making them from so long ago so I will post how they compare to the repro ones that I have had in the past. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 07:39:32 PM »
I got the repro CJ finned valve covers today and although very nice they do not have the nuance detail of the aluminum finish like I remember on the originals and older repros. They can be worked over for a little closer authentic look. The casting details in general are very close to original. Even with the nuance difference in finish on the new repros you will be hard pressed IMO to make a typical used CJ finned set look as good as the repros look out of the box. Used originals also commonly have cracks near the bolt down holes from bolting down too hard. At the end of the day they are a good alternative unless you have a very excellent set of originals to use IMO. Just some of my observations. Others may have different. 

Offline DaveF

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 09:34:58 PM »
So, here?s another question: were this type of valve cover used on the assembly line, or were they a dealer option? Should they have the OK mark on them?
1970 Mustang Mach One
428 SCJ w/Drag Pak 3.91
Metuchen plant
Built 9/5/1969

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 10:46:34 PM »
So, here?s another question: were this type of valve cover used on the assembly line, or were they a dealer option? Should they have the OK mark on them?
The finned aluminum valve were standard on all CJ's after 2/14/69. Yes they were stamped OK from the factory.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 09:26:46 PM »
Just as a note there are multiple versions of the OK stamp originally used at the engine plant that built FE engines
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)