Author Topic: K/H Disk Brake Proportioning Valve Location  (Read 5283 times)

Offline 65fastbk

K/H Disk Brake Proportioning Valve Location
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:36:41 PM »
Hi,

Im new to this forum but have been stalking it for a while.  I have a 1965 c code fastback and was piecing together a k/h brake system.  I currently have the calipers, backing plates and proportioning valve.  My question is where do I mount the proportioning valve?  Is there a bracket to attach to?  I know the general vicinity but not sure the exact location.  The valve I have only has a bolt on the back and a "nub", but on the fender apron I don't see any holes.  I know this didn't come on C codes but I would think the panel would be the same?  Any help or pictures would be great!!

Thanks!

Offline rockhouse66

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline 65fastbk

Re: K/H Disk Brake Proportioning Valve Location
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:20:05 PM »
This was recently discussed here;

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4683.msg26039#msg26039

Hi I did see that thanks.  Just wanted to know the exact place on the side apron, I don't see any holes or anything there for where to screw it in.  Is it attached to a bracket?

Thanks

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 02:24:14 PM »
Is it attached to a bracket?
No bracket is used. A 5/16-18X3/4 hex washer screw (354538-S8) from the fender well holds the valve in place. A rough estimation for the mounting hole is 12 inches down from the sharp upper edge of the fender apron (including the 1 1/4 inch 45 degree slope at the top of the apron) and 2 inches forward of the fire wall. With the left front wheel removed, you should be able to drill a hole. There is a retaining pin located forward and down from the mounting hole that will also need to be drilled. Here's a picture of what a 65-66 valve looks like. If you have one that looks like a cylinder about 7/8 in dia and 4 inches long, it's a 1967-on type that does require a bracket.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:22:07 PM »
Exactly what I wanted to know, Thank you very much!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 08:24:02 PM »
No bracket is used. ..................... it's a 1967-on type that does require a bracket.

???. The 67  valve is located at the rear of the car  using no bracket

Guess your thinking of the later cars (this 69 example) instead

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 09:40:27 PM »
Some time in the 67 production year (I think February), Ford relocated the proportioning valve from the rear to the front as in the 69 pictures. It had something to do with the brake warning switch circuit. As a result, there are two different distribution/switch blocks for disc brakes in 1967, early and late. The later 67 version for the valve in the front type mounts with a bracket and is different from the 1968 valve in front type by the way they mount to the fender apron even though the plumbing is the same. For 1969 and on, Ford copied the 68 type (with some improvements).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:35:19 PM »
Some time in the 67 production year (I think February), Ford relocated the proportioning valve from the rear to the front as in the 69 pictures......

Jim where did you get that detail from?

Checked a few later Shelby's (since they all have disc) and found the valve mounted like the one pictures above at the rear of the car. These three examples (could look for more but stopped when I got these) were completed at San Jose on 3/30, 5/26 and 7/10. All pretty nice original cars for the sampling

Lack of the valve in the later location

The 5/26 example

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 01:02:10 AM »
A few years back I helped a friend in getting his 67 "A" code Fastback (4 speed, Acapulco Blue, San Jose May build) from the "found rusting in a field near Oakland" condition to a MCA daily driver class. It was at the MCA judged show in Concord (took a gold). The owner had a few changes he wanted to make, add a trunk light, add hood turn signals, move the safety convenience panel from the dash to an added console, and power disc brakes (you didn't like the gold zinc plating on the vacuum drum). We originally were going to place the proportioning valve at the rear but found out that there was a running change to put the valve at the front with a loop thru the dristribution block for the dual brake warning lights.
Jim 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 07:40:43 PM »
...........We originally were going to place the proportioning valve at the rear but found out that there was a running change to put the valve at the front with a loop thru the dristribution block for the dual brake warning lights.
Jim

Sorry for taking the discussion off thread guess we need to start anew if there is anymore supporting information as to the front mount location. Don't know where you found your info - but found another 18 original cars in pictures (from though out the year at San Jose) that had the rear mount location
Jeff Speegle